Winnipeg Fire Department reminds citizens to be fire safe this holiday season Released: 11:15 a.m.
NEWS @ A GLANCE:
The Winnipeg Fire Department is reminding citizens to be vigilant about fire safety this holiday season.
(for more details, please read the full media release below)
WINNIPEG December 20, 2007 - The Winnipeg Fire Department is reminding citizens to be vigilant about fire safety this holiday season. Fire safety is of paramount importance at this time of year, especially with the safe display of natural and artificial Christmas trees, candles, lights and seasonal decorations.
The following are recommendations for a fire safe holiday:
Christmas trees: Natural trees which have been up for a while tend to dry out and become more flammable.
Check the water level at least daily, and keep the tree stand filled with water at all times.
Keep trees away from heat sources such as hot air registers, portable heaters, fireplaces, candles and spot lights etc., as the heat will dry out the tree, causing it to be more easily ignited by heat, flame or sparks.
Holiday lights and decorations:
Always use CSA approved Christmas tree lights and check the bulbs, sockets, wires and plugs to make sure nothing is cracked, broken or exposed. Replace any missing bulbs.
Do not overload electrical outlets; do not link more than three light strands, unless the directions indicate it is safe. Connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into the outlet. Periodically check the wires – they should not be warm to the touch.
Do not use lights on metallic trees.
If your tree shows signs of dryness such as excessive needle loss, the tree has been cut too long, has probably dried out, and is a fire hazard.
Turn off all interior and exterior Christmas lights before going to bed, and when leaving the home.
Use only non-flammable decorations; all decorations should be non-flammable or flame-retardant and placed away from heat vents and fireplaces.
Never put wrapping paper in a fireplace; it can create toxic fumes, throw off dangerous sparks and produce a chemical buildup in the home that could cause an explosion.
Exercise caution with young children and decorations that could present a choking hazard.
Do not leave candles burning in unoccupied rooms and do not leave children or pets unattended in rooms with lit candles.
Place candles and matches or lighters out of the reach of children, and when candles are in use, place them in approved non-combustible holders.
Do not place candles near or in Christmas trees, curtains, decorations, or other combustible material such as bedding or cushions.
For general winter safety, be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide. This colourless, odourless, tasteless gas originates from several sources: gas-fired appliances; charcoal grills; wood-burning furnaces or fireplaces; and motor vehicles. Carbon monoxide is created when fuel-burning appliances are either not functioning correctly or are not venting properly into outside air. It can also leak into homes from garages or other adjacent enclosed spaces where automobiles have been left with their engines running.
Have your furnace and any fuel-burning appliance checked by a qualified technician to ensure proper and safe ventilation and chimney function.
On Monday, December 24, the Cornish, Munroe, Osborne, Sir William Stephenson, St. John’s, Windsor Park and West End branches will be closed. All other branches will be open from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. All libraries will be closed on Tuesday, December 25 and Wednesday, December 26. Regular hours of operation will be in effect from December 27-30. On December 31, Sir William Stephenson Library will be closed; all other branches will close at 5:00 p.m. All branches will be closed on Tuesday, January 1, 2008.
Open 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. except Christmas Day Tuesday, December 25, 2007, when the Zoo is open from noon – 4:00 p.m.
Open 9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. including Christmas Day, Tuesday, December 25, 2007.
All pools will close at noon on Christmas Eve, Monday December 24, 2007. All pools will be closed on Tuesday, December 25, Wednesday, December 26, 2007, and Tuesday, January 1, 2008.
All pools will close at 4:00 p.m. on New Years Eve, Monday, December 31, 2007. Holiday hours are in effect commencing December 16, 2007 until January 5, 2008. Please call your local pool for more detailed information on holiday hours. See page 6 in the Winter Leisure Guide for phone numbers or visit the website at Winnipeg.ca.
Please note that the Cindy Klassen Recreation Complex is currently closed for construction.
All Leisure Centres are closed on Monday, December 24, 2007, except Fort Rouge Leisure Centre and Peguis Fitness Center (open 6:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.), Magnus Eliason Recreation Centre (open 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.) and Freight House Leisure Centre (open 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.).
All Leisure Centers are closed Tuesday, December 25, 2007, Wednesday, December 26, 2007 and Tuesday, January 1, 2008. Please call your local Leisure Centre for holiday hours. See page 43 of the Winter Leisure Guide for phone numbers or visit the website at Winnipeg.ca.
Animal Services Agency:
The Animal Services Agency is open on Monday, December 24, 2007 from 8:30 a.m. - noon and closed on Tuesday, December 25, Wednesday, December 26, 2007 and Tuesday, January 1, 2008.
Open regular hours Thursday, December 27 - Friday, December 28, 2007, from 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. and noon to 5:00 p.m. on Saturday December 29 and Sunday, December 30, 2007.