The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service reminds residents to be cautious when using Christmas lights in and around the home this holiday season.
(for more details, please read the full media release below)
December 23, 2010 - The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service reminds residents to be cautious when using Christmas lights in and around the home this holiday season.
The holiday season can be a time of heightened fire risk. Throughout Canada at this time of the year, the incidence of fires and fire-related losses involving candles, home heating equipment, and electrical sources increases significantly compared to the rest of the year.
Indoors and outdoors, use only lights that have been tested and labelled by a recognized testing agency such as the Underwriters Laboratories Canada (ULC) or Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
Inspect holiday lights yearly for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections, and throw out damaged sets.
If using extension cords, make sure they are rated for the intended use and in good condition.
Never use electric lights on a metallic tree. The tree can become charged with electricity from faulty lights, and a person touching a branch could be electrocuted.
Turn off all holiday lights when you go to bed or leave the house.
Outdoor electric lights and decorations should be plugged into circuits protected by ground fault circuit interrupters.