Eligibility of Candidates for School Trustee
Prior to making the decision to run for office, a prospective candidate should determine if he or she qualifies under the provisions of Section 22 of The Public Schools Act which provides:
22 A person is qualified to be nominated for election and elected as a trustee of a school board if the person:
- is a Canadian Citizen;
- is of the full age of 18 years, or will be of the full age of 18 years at the date of the election;
- is an actual resident in the School Division or School District, and will have been so for a period of at least six months at the date of the election; and
- is not disqualified under any other provision of this Act or any other Act, and is not otherwise by law prohibited, from being a trustee or from voting at elections in the School Division or School District.
- Candidates for School Trustee do not have to reside within the Ward of the School Division in which they are seeking election, but must reside within the School Division itself.
- No pupil in regular attendance at a school within the same school division or school district shall be a trustee of the school division or school district. [PSA s. 22(2)]
- No employee of the same school board, school division or school district shall serve as a trustee unless he or she takes a leave of absence. [PSA s. 22(3)]
Last update: 15.03.2013