Français  |    | 
311
Winnipeg Police Service

History & Museum > Pre-Amalgamation Police Department Histories

The Winnipeg Police Department - History & Formation
Assiniboia Police Dept | Brooklands Police Dept | East Kildonan Police | Fort Garry Police | North Kildonan Police Dept | Old Kildonan Police Dept | St. Boniface Police | St. James-Assiniboia Police Dept | St. James Police Dept | St. Vital Police | Transcona Police | Tuxedo Police | West Kildonan Police
 

Shoulder Flashes

East Kildonan Police Shoulder Flash
East Kildonan Police Shoulder Flash
East Kildonan Police Shoulder Flash
East Kildonan Police Shoulder Flash
 

Hat Badges

East Kildonan Police Hat Badge
East Kildonan Police Hat Badge
 

Wallet Badges

East Kildonan Police Badge
East Kildonan Police Badge
East Kildonan Police Badge
East Kildonan Police Badge
East Kildonan Police Badge
East Kildonan Police Badge

East Kildonan Police 1914-1974

The Rural Municipality of East Kildonan was formed in 1914 and at the time included the area of North Kildonan. The two municipalities divided in 1925 and maintained separate Police forces. In 1972, the the East Kildonan Police (39 members) absorbed the North Kildonan Police (18 members) in preparation for the complete amalgamation of all forces into the City of Winnipeg Police in 1974.

 

History

From 1876 to 1914, the Rural Municipality of Kildonan covered a large area on both sides of the Red River, just north of the original City of Winnipeg. In 1914, the area east of the river became the R. M. of East Kildonan, and the area west of the river became the R. M. of West Kildonan. In 1924, residents in the primarily rural northern part of East Kildonan were said to be burdened by high sewer and water taxes from the built-up area to the south. This resulted in their separation and the Municipality of North Kildonan came into being.

The R. M. of North Kildonan was incorporated on January 1, 1925. The first Constable was William STALKER who also served as Public Works man, Poundkeeper and Weed Inspector. Police Headquarters was located in Constable STALKER’s house on Birds Hill Road and he used his own automobile for Police business. STALKER was succeeded by his son John in 1945, however John STALKER later resigned in 1949 to take a position with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Several Policemen were hired on a part-time basis between 1949 and 1953, and during a vacancy the East Kildonan Police patrolled the Municipality for one year until July 1, 1953, when the North Kildonan council again established its own Police Force. Three Chief Constables, William SIMPSON, Archie BATCHELOR and Joseph WALKER served for short periods until January 1954 when George F. LOVE was appointed. He served until 1968 when he was succeeded by John URCHENKO, who had been a member of the force since 1954. URCHENKO remained in that position until December 31, 1971, when the forces of East Kildonan and North Kildonan amalgamated to form the East Kildonan Community Police Department. At that time the North Kildonan Force consisted of 18 men serving a population of approximately 19,000 people.

On July 1, 1955, the Police and Fire services were integrated to form the Public Safety Department. One hundred citizens presented a petition opposing amalgamation of services, but extensive studies of systems used in towns of similar size and population in both the United States and Eastern Canada showed a definite trend in favor of amalgamating the services for better protection of citizens. All members of the force were trained to handle the fire truck as a result. Personnel on the 7 AM to 3 PM shift then consisted of Chief EINFELD, one Sergeant, one driver, one clerk and two men on cruiser car patrol. There were seven men assigned to duty in each of the other two shifts, and should a fire call be received while the men were engaged fighting another fire, the City of Winnipeg Fire Department were called to assist.

East Kildonan was incorporated as a City in 1957, and on January 15, 1963, the Police and Fire Departments became separate forces once again. Following the amalgamation of North Kildonan and East Kildonan Police Forces in 1971, there was a staff of 63 officers and men.

Prior to the unification of all Greater Winnipeg Police Forces in 1974, the East Kildonan Police served a population of approximately 50,000 with 57 members and 6 staff. The area 13 square mile area covered by the force became part of District 4 in the City of Winnipeg Police Department.

From foundation in 1914 to amalgamation in 1974, the East Kildonan Police Department had four Chief Constables: 

Thomas RADLEY 1914 – 1916
Thomas COLEY  1917 – 1946
G. J. RUSSELL  1947 – 1951
C. EINFIELD  1951 – 1974

 

Pre-Amalgamation Staff List

Chief of Police: EINFELD, Christian
Sergeants: CARSON, Edward A.
HABINSKI, Joseph K.
PETERS, Kenneth A.
WOHLSCHLAGER, Gordon
Patrol Sergeants:

LANINGA, H. John
MacKAY, Richard
RIMMER, Norm C.
WHITE, Fred

Constables:

ANDERSON, William
BAKEMA, A. Harry
BAKER, Ronald E.
CAHOON, W. Keith
CHIBORAK, Marshall J.
CHUDZY, Chris
DALY, William J.
DEJONG, Bruce
DONAGHEY, H. Brian
EASTOE, David G.
HANSON, James
KOLBAUER, Ron W.
KORAL, Richard
LITKE, Ray F.
MAARTENSE, John
MARKS, William A.
MAUGHAN, John R.
MOORING, Ryk J.
MUTH, Dennis E.
ROSTAS, Brent
RYAN, Gerald E.
RYLAND, Ron G.
STUPACK, Gary P.
VANDERGRAFF, R. Fred
WALLS, Alex P.
WITHER, Donald

Police Cadets:

CAMPBELL, Boyd
GELLER, Richard J.
LAWRENCE, Jeffrey
SULLIVAN, Robert

 

The Winnipeg Police Museum is always seeking information, pictures or stories about the pre-amalgamation forces. If you have information on this department, please send an email to Sgt. Rodney Hutter.



CALEA Logo :: Click to visit the CALEA website..
"An Internationally Accredited Law Enforcement Agency"
Last update: March 17, 2014

 * Top of Page