Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |

Winnipeg Police Service

Accessibility

About the Service > Central Traffic Unit

Central Traffic Unit Home | Motorcycle Unit | Vehicle Inspection Unit | Special Events Traffic Information & Permits | Impaired Driving |
Photo Enforcement Program | Frequently Asked Questions
Parking Enforcement | Reporting A Motor Vehicle Collision

Motorcycle Unit

Motorcycle Officers undergo an extensive and difficult two week training program in which they are taught to ride under extreme circumstances and in adverse conditions. They learn collision avoidance, emergency braking and to conduct all their Police functions from a motorcycle.

Motorcycle training

Each Officer must re-certify every year to maintain the standards set. When you see a Motorcycle Officer driving down the street, that person is well trained and has become an expert rider.


 

Motorcycle
Constable J. Taylor with a
1910 Indian motorcycle

History of the Unit

On July 11th, 1910, three Massey-Harris bicycles featuring a small engine to help propel it along were issued to three Constables. These bikes were turned in, on the same day, and have the unique distinction of being the first motorcycles used by the Winnipeg Police Force.

A week later, on July 18th, 1910, two Constables were issued Indian Motorcycles, which were later replaced by Hendersons. The Henderson Motorcycles were powered by an in-line Four-cylinder engine and some were even equipped with sidecars. The Force soon augmented their fleet of Hendersons with the acquisition of Royal-Enfields.

1938 saw the Winnipeg Police Force purchase the first Harley-Davidson Motorcycles, which featured a right hand throttle and a left side stick shift. Equipped with sidecars mounted for winter driving, these Motorcycles were used year round.

The last Harley-Davidson purchased by the Winnipeg Police was in 1978, and remained in Service until May 1985, when it was retired from service and became the possession of the Winnipeg Police Museum, complete with sidecar. After a long absence, in 2000, the now Winnipeg Police Service returned to Harley-Davidson with the acquisition of 9 FLHTPI Electra-Glides, which are still in use.

 

CALEA Logo Click to visit the CALEA website.
"An Internationally Accredited Law Enforcement Agency"
Last update: July 9, 2007

 * Top of Page