Competencies are skills or qualities one has acquired through their life experience, study, training or employment. The City of Winnipeg uses a competency based model for hiring, as does the Winnipeg Police Service.
The following are the City of Winnipeg’s Five Core Competencies which the Winnipeg Police Service uses to assess each applicant and considers essential for an applicant to possess in order to perform successfully as a Winnipeg Police Officer.
The Winnipeg Police Service encourages all applicants to familiarize themselves with these competencies.
City of Winnipeg Five Core Competencies
- Respecting Diversity – respects all people, treats them effectively and equitably, regardless of race, nationality, culture, disability, age or sex; proponent of equal opportunity and fairness for all.
- Citizen & Customer Focus – committed to building relationships with customers, garnering their trust and respect in order to meet their needs; improve products/services based on customer information; acts with customers in mind.
- Integrity & Trust – an honest and trusted individual, who presents the truth in a manner that is helpful and appropriate; someone who maintains confidentiality and when admitting mistakes, represents him/herself in a truthful way regardless of the outcome.
- Ethics & Values – doing the right thing even when no one is looking, committed to core values and beliefs and acts in a manner that supports their beliefs.
- Results Oriented – meets goals, ability to strive to be a top performer, goal oriented, encourages others to get successful results.
If you have any further questions, please contact the Recruiting Office at 204-986-6204.