Those not requiring glasses or contact lenses:
- 20/20 Vision (binocular – using both eyes).
Those requiring glasses:
- Without glasses: 20/40 binocular (using both eyes) with 20/40 in the weaker eye.
- With glasses: 20/20 vision (binocular – using both eyes).
Those requiring contact lenses:
- The use of soft contact lenses is permitted with at least one year of successful use.
- Without contact lenses: 20/40 binocular (using both eyes) with 20/80 in the weaker eye.
- With contact lenses: 20/20 vision (binocular – using both eyes).
- No colour blindness or colour vision deficits.
- Candidates who fail the PIP test should be required to pass the Farnsworth D-15.
- Use of rose-coloured lenses should not be permitted during testing.
- Applicants younger than 35 years of age – Minimum of 6 months post operative surgery before they are eligible to apply.
- Applicants 35 years of age and older – 12 months post operative surgery before they are eligible to apply.
- No significant difficulties with glare or night vision.
- No indication that uncorrected far acuity will be significantly degraded within the next two – three years.
- No significant diurnal instability in visual testing or function.
** Applicants must provide Eye Surgery Report/Questionnaire indicating date(s) of surgery, which eye(s) surgery was performed on, and signature of doctor that performed surgery.
If you have any questions, please contact the City of Winnipeg Occupational Health Branch at 204-986-5218.