Winnipeg Police Service Physical Abilities Test (WPS-PAT)
wps-pat closing date - recruit class #160 & 160-l
The Winnipeg Police Service, Recruiting Office, 280 William Avenue must be in possession of a valid original WPS-PAT certificate NO LATER THAN Monday, February 1st, 2016 at 3:00 p.m. CERTIFICATES SUBMITTED AFTER THIS DATE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. The certificate is valid for one year from the date of your WPS-PAT appointment. Your application will be withdrawn from the current cadet process, should you not hand in or have on file a valid original WPS-PAT Certificate by Monday, February 1st, 2016 at 3:00 p.m.
***WE DO NOT PROVIDE PHOTOCOPIES OF WPS-PAT CERTIFICATES.***
At times Police Officers are both expected and required to use appropriate physical force on an individual in order to resolve a physical confrontation or prevent physical harm to themselves or a member of the public. The WPS-PAT is designed to test and assess an applicant's minimum physical ability to:
- Attend to a problem quickly.
- Deal with the problem physically.
- Remove the problem.
The WPS-PAT test is conducted in a gymnasium with the applicant wearing clothing appropriate for physical activity. The test consists of:
- Running 400 metres (1/4 mile) over a six lap course. This includes climbing up and down stairs, jumping over low obstacles.
- Following the six laps the applicant moves to the push/pull station where they will pull and push against 80 lbs of resistance while moving in a controlled half circle. Two controlled falls to the chest (roll over to the front and stand) are completed after each group of three pulls or three pushes. This sequence is repeated twice.
- Following the push/pull station the applicant completes the test by lifting and carrying 80 lbs a distance of 50 feet.
- The WPS-PAT test must be completed within 4 minutes and 15 seconds.
- Applicants must produce an Original Certificate of the WPS-PAT as provided by the contractor for the Winnipeg Police Service.
NOTE: A WPS-PAT CERTIFICATE IS NOT REQUIRED TO APPLY. However, for each recruitment process:
- A valid WPS-PAT Certificate must be obtained and produced to the Winnipeg Police Recruiting Office at a date to be determined by the Recruiting Unit.
- As this date may vary, the Winnipeg Police Recruiting Unit will provide an applicant with sufficient notice as to the date when the WPS-PAT Certificate is required.
- Registration forms for the WPS-PAT can be obtained from The University of Manitoba website by clicking on http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/kinrec/recreationservices/1458.html
For further information, please visit the University of Manitoba Recreation Services website.