Thank you for your feedback. We are now reviewing all the comments we have received to date and will be incorporating them into the final Strategic Master Plan document.
OPEN HOUSE BOARDS:
Why A Plan?
Throughout the late 1970's to early 1980's the City of Winnipeg invested significant funding into the development and maintenance of Kilcona Park. However, like many municipal assets, Kilcona Park's infrastructure is aging and requires significant investment to meet community current needs and standards. Limited resources are available and there is a need to ensure improvements are prioritized and dedicated to the most desirable design components. To that end, an overall Strategic Renewal and Action Plan shall be developed to identify both the short and long term implementation strategies for the site.
The Kilcona Park/Harbourview Recreation Complex Strategic Renewal and Action Plan will provide an opportunity to examine the last 30 years of programming and use on this site and identify programming and facility requirements for the next two decades. Specific objectives of the project include:
- A comprehensive review and analysis of existing site and facility conditions, use patterns, and recreation needs;
- A meaningful and appropriate input to the Plan that includes key park stakeholders, users, elected officials and the community-at-large;
- Recommend potential redevelopment/re-investment opportunities, project phasing and cost estimates to assist in future Capital and Operating fund requests and meet community recreation needs and expectations;
- Provide alternate funding and review of governance strategies that can assist the City in the implementation of the Plan through additional capital and operating resources.
Hilderman Thomas Frank Cram Landscape Architecture - Planning will be working with Meyers Norris Penny LLP, MMM Group Limited and Prairie Architects Inc. to complete this project. All have proven records in the creation of sustainable, innovative and fiscally responsible public places, well suited to the Kilcona/Harbourview Plan.
- Hilderman Thomas Frank Cram will be responsible for overall project co-ordination, site planning and public and stakeholder consultation.
- Meyers Norris Penny (MNP) will provide business planning services, assessment of fiscal implications of development options, governance models and alternate funding strategies.
- MMM Group will provide civil engineering input on redevelopment options and provide input on costs.
- Prairie Architects will provide input on existing and proposed structures, facilities planning and programming, costs, and sustainable practices.
A Kilcona Park/Harbourview Recreation Complex Stakeholder Group has been developed with representation from park user groups, immediate neighbours and businesses, residents' associations, nearby churches and community centres, interest groups, recreation organizations, regional health authorities and elected officials. The stakeholders will contribute to interviews and workshops on behalf of their constituents.
This website will serve as a forum for broader public input, and provide periodic updates on progress.
Information received through this website comment board will be made available to the consultant team and stakeholders during the planning process, and will be compiled as part of the final report. Please check back to this website for more details.
Throughout this process, members of the public are invited to send comments through the comment board.
The research, inventory and analysis and community engagement stages of the project are now underway. The Kilcona Park / Harbourview Strategic Renewal and Action Plan report will be completed by summer 2014.
Kilcona Park Visioning Workshop.
The Kilcona Park / Harbour View Recreation Complex Visioning Workshop was held on Saturday, February 2, 2013. Invited representatives from the various park user groups and stakeholder organizations came to share their constituent's ideas, interests and concerns regarding the park. Several neighbours living adjacent to the park also joined in the workshop. Representatives from the following groups and organizations included:
- Kilcona Park Dog Club
- Harbourview Golf Course
- Lakeland Golf Management
- Athletics Manitoba - Cross Country Running
- Manitoba Cycling Association - Cyclecross & Mountain Bike
- Cross Country Ski Association of Manitoba
- Valley Gardens Community Centre
- North Kildonan Community Centre
- Bike to the Future
- Sail Manitoba
- Manitoba Paddling Association
- Transcona Community Network
- Transcona Trails Association
- Kilcona Park Alliance Church
- Bikes & Beyond
- Eaglemere Residents Association
- Residents Adjacent to the Park
- RM of East St. Paul
- Various City of Winnipeg departments, Councillor representatives and Councillors
The workshop began with brief introductions from each participant and was followed by an overview of the top findings revealed through advance research and interviews between the consultant and the various user groups. HTFC presented their background research to date, site analysis mapping, and highlights of the stakeholder interviews is available.
The design team, along with the City of Winnipeg steering committee members, helped to facilitate small group discussions around the various attributes of the park. Individuals were encouraged to listen to one another and work together to provide the development direction that best reflected the collective aspirations of the stakeholders. When consensus was not reached, worksheets were annotated with additional information, qualifiers and comments. Each group posted their findings and participants were invited to share and discuss their thoughts regarding each park attribute in relation to development and renewal. The information gained from this workshop will form the foundation for the design team's preliminary renewal scenarios for the park.
Please email the City of Winnipeg any additional information you would like to share or thoughts on any of the topics discussed with regards to this first visioning session or the future direction of this park. All information will be assembled and used to inform the Strategic Renewal and Action Plan.
- Site Analysis
- Land Allocation
- Kilcona Visioning Workshop 1 Presentation
- Kilcona Visioning Workshop 1 Results
Last update: December 4, 2013
* Top of Page