The City Auditor is a statutory officer appointed by city Council under The City of Winnipeg Charter. The City Auditor reports to Council through the Audit Committee (Executive Policy Committee) and is independent of the City's Public Service. The City Auditor conducts examinations of the operations of the City and its affiliated bodies to assist Council in its governance role of ensuring the Public Service's accountability for the quality of stewardship over public funds and for the achievement of value for money in City operations. After communication to City Council, an audit report becomes a public document.
In 2009, the Mayor and the CAO introduced the concept of a Chief Performance Officer for the City. The mandate of the department with the addition of the Chief Performance Officer role, is as follows:
- To examine problem areas, within the capabilities of the Audit Department, which are brought to the Auditor's attention by taxpayers, department heads, employees, Council, Standing Committees of Council, members of Council and the CAO.
- To act as an internal consulting group to provide information and help to civic departments within the capabilities and resources of the Audit Department.
- To examine and evaluate the adequacy of the City's systems of internal control, both financial and operational.
- To determine whether applicable sections of The City of Winnipeg Charter, by-laws, regulations, orders of Council and administrative directives have been complied with, as well as applicable federal and provincial legislation.
- To review the performance of operations to ensure money was expended with due regard to economy and efficiency.
- To monitor the implementation of recommendations from audit reports and report on the status of implementation of recommendations to Audit Committee.
- To provide advice and assistance on the definition and development of performance measures, the implementation of performance management systems and the reporting of performance information to the public and to advocate for the use of performance information.
Our Service Value
A key role of the Audit Department is to provide independent assurance on the performance of civic services in support of open, transparent and accountable government. Our primary client is City Council, through the Audit Committee. The value to Council is the ability to use credible information to support their decision-making efforts. Our stakeholders are civic managers and citizens who are the recipients of our public reports.
Our Service Lines
- Advisory Services
- Assurance Services
- Investigation Services