Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg logo

  

  |  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |  

Text size: change text size to small A | change text size to medium A | change text size to largeA




Departments City Hall Visitors Business Residents Contact 311 Contact 311 Residents Business Visitors City Hall Departments Menu

Our City, Our Stories

Animals and Insects
Emergency and Safety
Libraries, Recreation and Leisure
Parks, Trees and the Environment
Homeowner, Renter and Business Information
Transportation and Streets
Water and Waste
Celebrating City Employees
Other City Information

How to spot the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning

February 5, 2019

As people are turning their furnaces up, using their fireplace, or warming their vehicles, the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning increases.

“Carbon monoxide will be an issue over the long winter months,” said Leigh Gruener, Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) Public Education Officer.

In 2018, the WFPS responded to 709 calls related to carbon monoxide. The highest months for this type of call were January and December.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, and tasteless gas. It can come from a faulty appliance, clogged chimney, inadequate venting, or a buildup of engine exhaust.

Exposure to highly elevated levels of carbon monoxide can lead to unconsciousness and even death.

Similar to a smoke alarm, this alarm will sound if it detects carbon monoxide. One should be installed on every level of the home and outside of each sleeping area.

The symptoms of minor carbon monoxide poisoning can mimic those of the common flu.

“You could experience headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, mental confusion, weakness, vision or hearing impairment, and shortness of breath,” said Gruener.

Tips for preventing carbon monoxide poisoning: