The 2022 municipal election is on October 26. Get the latest election information. Les élections municipales de 2022 ont lieu le 26 octobre. Obtenez des renseignements à jour sur les élections.

Secondary Suites

The Zoning & Permits Branch is not accepting walk-in customers and permit applications must be submitted digitally. If you have any questions, call Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140.

La Direction du zonage et des permis ne prend pas les clients sans rendez-vous, et les demandes de permis doivent être soumises en format numérique. Pour toute question, appelez la ligne directe des permis au 204-986-5140.

Planning, zoning and building information for attached and detached secondary suites

To apply for your permit please visit the Zoning & Permits Office at Unit 31 - 30 Fort Street, Winnipeg, MB, R3C 4X7.

secondary suites diagram

Secondary suites offer a unique opportunity to create a suite attached to your single-family home, or located on your property. A secondary suite is a self-contained living space that has a separate entrance as well as living, cooking, sleeping, and bathroom facilities.

There are two types of secondary suites: attached and detached.

An attached secondary suite can be located anywhere within a single-family dwelling (basement, any above grade floor, or an addition).

Attached secondary suites must comply with use specific standards of the Zoning By-law or follow the same development approval process as detached secondary suites.

Attached Secondary Suites are permitted uses under Zoning By-law 200/2006 where they were previously conditional (subject to all zoning requirements).

A detached secondary suite can be a standalone building or within/above a garage.

To construct a detached secondary suite, special approval called a "Conditional Use" is required. The process requires a public hearing at the Board of Adjustment and a Conditional Use permit.

Development approval process:

Project construction

To learn more about building secondary suites, please refer to the following brochures:


Refer to the Planning, Development and Building Fees and Charges schedule for more information about applicable fees.

  • Conditional Use fees
  • Building, plumbing and electrical permit fees will also be incurred


Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.

Zoning information

Visit the Homeowner Zoning Information page or call Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140.

Requirement information (see Section 120 of By-law 200/2006)

Secondary Suite FAQ

Can a property have more than one secondary suite?

No. Eligible properties may contain only one secondary suite.

Yes. Please review building code and site servicing requirements.

  • They are housing units that are typically affordable, mainly because they are small in size. Secondary suites add to the supply of affordable units in the city.
  • They can be an integral housing option in an era of an aging population.
  • They do not change the character of a neighbourhood because they do not alter the built form of the existing dwelling.
  • They can help reverse population decline in older neighbourhoods.

Manitoba Building Code Life-Safety Design Requirements


A dwelling unit with a secondary suite must have at least one exit which leads directly outside. Subsection 9.9.9. of the Manitoba Building Code (MBC) deals with the egress from dwelling units. Required entrance doors shall have a minimum width of 810 mm (2'-8"). An exit stairway shall have a minimum width of 860 mm (2'-10").

Where the suite does not contain a sprinkler, each bedroom shall have at least one window designed as a means of egress, should the required exit become obstructed. An egress window must have an unobstructed opening of 0.35 m² (3.8 ft²) and the minimum height or width of the opening shall be not less than 380 mm (1'-3"). Egress windows are to have either a casement or sliding operation. Where a window well serves an egress, it must project out from the wall at least 760 mm (2'-6").

The MBC requires a minimum 1.95 m (6'-5") floor-to-ceiling height for a secondary suite. Clear heights under beams can be reduced to 1.85 m (6'-1"), but door openings cannot be reduced to less than 1.89 m (6'-2 1/2") – where a lower ceiling height does not allow for a full height door.

A means of protection against the spread of smoke and fire from one dwelling unit to another is essential. Also, any common space, other ancillary spaces or rooms containing heating equipment must be protected from the remainder of the building. This is achieved by providing a layer of 1/2" drywall on the underside of floor framing (ceiling) and on both sides of wall studs that separate the dwelling unit from the suite or common spaces.

New smoke alarms are to be installed in each dwelling unit and in ancillary/common spaces not within the dwelling units. They should be interconnected so that the activation of any one smoke alarm causes all smoke alarms in both dwelling units to sound. Carbon monoxide alarms are to be installed within 5 m (16'-5") of each bedroom door or inside each bedroom when a residential occupancy has an attached garage or contains a fuel-burning appliance. A carbon monoxide alarm shall also be installed within a service room that is not within the dwelling unit. The carbon monoxide alarm shall be interconnected so that the activation of any one alarm causes alarms in both dwelling units to sound.

The Sound Transmission Classification (STC) between units is required to be rated at a minimum of 43. Common walls and ceilings are required to have min. 1/2" drywall, resilient sound channels and batt insulation. Alternatively, any wall/ceiling assembly that meets STC 43 (as prescribed by the code) is also acceptable.

A secondary suite l requires a dedicated heating system with controls, separate from the system serving the primary dwelling unit in the house. Air duct distribution systems cannot be interconnected between the dwelling units. Where a separate forced air heating system is provided, an HRV must be installed to provide for the exhaust of stale air from, and supply of fresh air into the suite. When no forced air heating system exists, incoming fresh air shall be supplied through a system of supply ducts to each bedroom, each story in the dwelling unit without a bedroom, and, to the principal living area.

Separate electrical and plumbing permits may be required

If you have any questions, please contact us.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.