Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
A Sustainable Winnipeg

Organic Lawn Care Home


Weeds taking over lawnIf weeds have completely taken over your lawn, and it is no longer realistic to hand-pull them all, you might look to re-establishing your lawn. Starting fresh might seem intimidating, but you can always re-establish small sections at a time, over a couple of years.

To get rid of your existing, weed-laden turf, use one of the following methods:

Option 1 - Solarization

This is the process of covering your lawn with a thick sheet of black plastic. The sun will heat up and kill the grass and weed seeds. Once the plastic has killed the plant life underneath it (approx. 4-6 weeks, depending how much direct sun the area is exposed to), rake up and dispose of all the dead weeds and grass. You are now ready to replant in that soil.

Option 2 - Smothering

This is the process of covering your lawn with 10 sheets of newspaper or 30 cm of leaves, and covering that with a layer of topsoil. Once the leaves (or newspaper) have broken down, (which can take up to a full growing season), you are ready to replant in the new topsoil that has formed from this decomposition.

Option 3 - Starvation

This is the process of “shaving” (mowing really close) your lawn, and tilling the area.  Wait and see if any grass and weeds come through, then till again.  Replant once no new growth appears to be breaking through in the newly tilled soil. The tilling process could have to be performed several times, and take a few weeks to complete.

Last update: September 21, 2017

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.