Compost giveaway event
To promote food source sustainability and thank the citizens of Winnipeg, we are giving away free compost from our leaf and yard waste collection program!
- June 1-7, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., while quantities last
*Note the locations have changed this year
To keep you and our staff safe, only one vehicle will be allowed per compost pile at a time. We will not be providing shovels for public use.
- Bring your own containers, shovel, and gloves - prepare to get a little dirty!
- Limit of 100 litres of compost per vehicle (approximately five 19-litre/5-gallon pails).
- Event is for Winnipeg residents only.
How to use our compost
Compost is a natural fertilizer that promotes vegetation growth and is often used on lawns and in gardens.
For best results, mix one part compost with three parts soil.
Benefits of using compost
Adding compost to your soil can help:
- save water
- improve soil structure
- add micronutrients
- create better conditions for plant growth
- reduce plant diseases
About the compost
All the leaf and yard waste collected through our program is taken to the Brady Road Resource Management Facility and turned into a nutrient-rich material called compost.
This compost meets Category A standards under the CCME Guideline for Compost Quality, which is safe to use in all household applications, including vegetable gardens.