Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
EmergWeb
Media Releases

November 13, 2015

Upcoming lane closures on William Avenue

Eastbound lanes closed Sunday, November 15 to Wednesday, November 25

Released: 9:56 a.m.

Winnipeg, MB - Eastbound William Avenue between Sherbrook Street and Lydia Street will be closed from Sunday, November 15 at 10:00 a.m. until Wednesday, November 25 at 7:00 p.m. to accommodate Manitoba Hydro utility work. One westbound lane will remain open. Pedestrian access will be maintained.

Motorists are advised to allow for additional travel time or to use alternate routes in this area to reach their destinations.

For regular updates on this lane closure and other City of Winnipeg lane closures, please visit City of Winnipeg - Regional Lane Closures.

For Transit re-route and schedule information, visit winnipegtransit.com or contact 311, available 24 hours every day by phone at 311 or by email at 311@winnipeg.ca.

Traffic restrictions at Pembina Highway at Bison Drive/Chancellor Matheson Road

Sunday, November 15, 2015 between 7:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.

Released: 3:13 p.m.

Winnipeg, MB - Pembina Highway at Bison Drive/Chancellor Matheson Road will be restricted to one northbound lane and two southbound lanes this Sunday, November 15 between 7:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. to accommodate MTS utility work. Left turns from Pembina Highway onto Bison Drive and Chancellor Matheson Road will not be permitted.

Only right turns from Bison Drive and Chancellor Matheson Road onto Pembina Highway will be allowed during this period, through movements and left turns will not be permitted.

Pedestrian access will be maintained.

For regular updates on this lane closure and other City of Winnipeg lane closures, please visit City of Winnipeg - Regional Lane Closures.

Motorists are advised to allow for additional travel time or to use alternate routes in this area to reach their destinations.

Funding agreement offsets need to raise transit fares, paves way to fund rapid transit

Released: 3:19 p.m.

Winnipeg, MB - an agreement between the City of Winnipeg and the Province of Manitoba offsets a 2015 Budget plan to raise transit fares by five cents over and above inflationary increases, and helps pave the way to fund the second stage of Winnipeg’s southwest rapid transit corridor.

“I want to thank the Province of Manitoba for their ongoing collaboration and willingness to work with us to fund the construction of the second stage of rapid transit,” said Mayor Brian Bowman. “This willingness to work together on creative and innovative funding models is encouraging, and I look forward to continued collaboration.”

“Our government understands the importance of investing in affordable public transit in Winnipeg”, said Drew Caldwell, Minister of Municipal Government. “We have amended our transit funding agreement with the City to allow for an additional annual provincial contribution of $1.7 million which will help keep transit fares affordable and support the modernization and renewal of the bus fleet, including a new focus on electric buses.”

Through negotiations with the Province of Manitoba, the provincial government proposed an alternative to a previously proposed five cent increase to transit fares, above annual inflationary increases, to fund a portion of the City of Winnipeg’s annual servicing payment for the second stage of rapid transit.

Under the existing Transit Funding Agreement, eligible transit expenses are cost shared on a 50-50 basis between the City of Winnipeg and the Province of Manitoba.

Through a modification of this Agreement, the City of Winnipeg will now be able to claim as cost-shareable expenses transfers of up to $3.4 million to the Bus Replacement Reserve for bus purchases. This results in an additional $1.7 million of funding to be received by the City of Winnipeg annually from the provincial government and offsets a previously identified need to increase bus fares by five cents.

Report recommends the award of Public Safety Radio Contracts

Released: 3:32 p.m.

Winnipeg, MB - An administrative report published today recommends the purchase of a City-owned and operated P25 radio system and services, through contracts awarded as part of the Public Safety Radio Project.

The proposal reflects a significant investment in the City of Winnipeg’s communication infrastructure, to provide critical voice and data service for the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) and Winnipeg Police Service (WPS).

The proposed radio system would replace the current two-way radio technology in use by both the WFPS and WPS. The current, trunked radio system was installed in 1998. The recommended option offers a cost-effective, City-owned and operated system that will improve communications coverage throughout the city.  The system was selected after careful evaluation of submissions presented through public Request for Information and Request for Proposals processes.

The report will be considered by the Executive Policy Committee on November 18.

November 13, 2015 28, 2015