Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
EmergWeb
Media Releases

June 10, 2019


Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Update: Ross Avenue Fire

Released: 10:00 a.m.

Winnipeg, MB – At approximately 4:10 a.m. on June 10, 2019, Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service crews responded to reports of a fire in a single-storey, multi-family home in the 600 block of Ross Avenue. Once on scene crews encountered a fire on the exterior of the structure which was extending into one of the suites. An offensive attack was launched and the fire was declared under control at 4:37 a.m.

Crews evacuated one individual from the suite impacted by the fire. No injuries were reported.

Preliminary observations suggest the cause of the fire was accidental due to the improper disposal of smokers’ materials. No damage estimates are available at this time.

Residents are reminded they should never use a plant pot as an ashtray. Potting soil is a mix of dirt and a number of combustible organic materials such as peat moss, shredded wood and minerals which are combustible. When a butt is put into a planter, it can smolder for several hours. Once the container heats up, it can crack, giving the smoldering material oxygen and the opportunity to spread to other combustibles such as decks, balconies, walls, etc. Smoking material should always be extinguished in an ashtray or deep metal container. Butts should also never be thrown from car windows, or disposed of near any vegetation such as grass or brush.

June 10, 2019