December 2, 2019
Released: 9:25 a.m.
Winnipeg, MB – At 5:55 a.m. on December 2, 2019, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to reports of fire in a two-storey single family home in the 100 block of Wynford Drive. Upon arrival on scene, crews encountered light smoke coming from the attic. They opened up the ceiling and found a small fire and smouldering insulation. The fire was declared extinguished at 6:42 a.m.
Occupants of the home self-evacuated prior to the arrival of crews. No injuries were reported. No damage estimates are available at this time.
The WFPS Fire Investigator determined the fire was caused by a malfunctioning bathroom fan. Residents are reminded to perform regular maintenance checks on all exhaust fans and clean them frequently to reduce the risk of fires.