Preliminary 2021 City of Winnipeg Budget to be Tabled November 27
Released: 10:46 a.m.
Winnipeg, MB – The preliminary 2021 Operating and Capital budgets for the City of Winnipeg will be tabled at a special meeting of Executive Policy Committee on Friday November 27, 2020 at 2:00 p.m.
“The 2021 City of Winnipeg budget focuses on updating the adopted 4-year balanced budgets and providing a plan for financial stability by addressing the ongoing impacts related to the global pandemic,” said Councillor Scott Gillingham (St. James), Chair of the Standing Policy Committee on Finance. “The multi-year balanced budgets passed in March have better positioned the City of Winnipeg than many other cities. I want to thank all of Council for their input and I encourage Winnipeggers to engage in this year’s process.”
After the EPC tabling of the budgets on November 27, 2020, the schedule of public meetings to hear delegations and consider the preliminary 2021 Operating and Capital budgets include:
Tuesday, December 1, 2020 – 9:30 a.m.
- Standing Policy Committee on Water and Waste, Riverbank Management and the Environment (Regular Meeting)
Wednesday December 2, 2020 – 9:30 a.m.
- Standing Policy Committee on Protection, Community Services and Parks (Regular Meeting)
Friday, December 4, 2020 – 9:30 a.m.
- Standing Policy Committee on Infrastructure Renewal and Public Works (Regular Meeting)
Monday, December 7, 2020 – 9:30 a.m.
- Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development, Heritage, and Downtown Development (Regular Meeting)
Tuesday, December 8, 2020 – 2:30 a.m.
- Standing Policy Committee on Innovation and Economic Development (Regular Meeting)
Thursday December 10, 2020 – 9:30 a.m.
- Winnipeg Police Board (Special Meeting)
Friday, December 11, 2020 – 9:30 a.m.
- Executive Policy Committee to hear public delegations on budgets (Special Meeting)
Tuesday, December 15, 2020 – 9:30 a.m.
- Executive Policy Committee to table final recommendations (Special Meeting)
Wednesday, December 16, 2020 – 9:30 a.m.
- Council to consider budget (Special Meeting)
Thursday, December 17, 2020 – 9:30 a.m.
- Regularly scheduled monthly Council meeting
The City of Winnipeg conducts an annual Citizen Survey. The complete results of the 2019 Citizen Survey can be reviewed here: https://winnipeg.ca/cao/pdfs/2020CitizenSurvey.pdf.
In addition to these survey results being used to inform budget decisions, they are also used to prepare the City of Winnipeg’s Community Trends and Performance Report. This annual report is prepared early in the budget process to provide broad demographic as well as performance data to facilitate decision making and to provide context to the city budgeting process. It includes the City of Winnipeg’s Organizational Balanced Scorecard as well as a host of organizational performance measurements. The 2021 Community Trends and Performance Report can be accessed here: https://winnipeg.ca/cao/pdfs/CommunityTrendsandPerformanceReportVolume1_2021.pdf.
The City of Winnipeg also subscribes to quarterly public opinion surveys. The results of these surveys can be reviewed here: https://www.winnipeg.ca/finance/files/QuarterlyPublicOpinionSurvey.pdf
Tabling of the preliminary 2021 budget on November 27 marks the continuation of an open and transparent budget review process. Members of the public are encouraged to continue participate in the budget process. To register as a delegation at any of the above committee meetings, resident can contact 311.
Residents are encouraged to check the Council and Committees Schedule of Meetings on the City’s website. If there are any changes to the scheduled times, they will be communicated at: https://www.winnipeg.ca/clerks/council/meetings.stm