The City of Winnipeg Archives research room at 50 Myrtle St. has reopened by appointment only. Appointments must be made in advance. Where possible, records may be electronically provided. To discuss your research needs, please contact the Archives at 204-986-5325 or email email@example.com. To search and access records online, visit Winnipeg in Focus
Please review the COVID-19 safety measures before visiting.
La salle de recherche des Archives de la Ville de Winnipeg, au 50, rue Myrtle, reçoit à nouveau les membres du public, sur rendez-vous seulement. Il faut prendre rendez-vous à l’avance. On fournira les documents par voie électronique dans la mesure du possible. Pour discuter de vos besoins en matière de recherche, veuillez communiquer avec les Archives par téléphone au 204-986-5325 ou par courriel à firstname.lastname@example.org. Pour chercher et consulter des documents en ligne, visitez Winnipeg in Focus.
Veuillez lire les mesures de précaution liées au COVID-19 avant votre venue.
Records Management By-law
The City of Winnipeg is required by the City of Winnipeg Charter Act to have a by-law for the management, retention, safekeeping, disposition and destruction of records.
The Records Management By-law was updated and approved by City Council in December 2020 and provides clarity and efficiency around records management. It designates members of the Records Committee, who will review and approve retention schedules, and enables the City to better meet its legal, regulatory, and operational requirements.
The current City of Winnipeg records schedules can be found below. Schedules will be updated as required in coordination with City departments, pending approval of the Records Committee.
City of Winnipeg Records Schedule “B” : Standard Administrative Records
- 1.00 Building Management
- 2.00 Departmental Financial Management
- 3.00 Departmental Human Resources Management
- 4.00 Departmental Information Management
- 5.00 Departmental Service Management
- 6.00 Fleet Management
- 7.00 Materials and Supplies Management
- 8.00 Records Management
- 9.00 Supporting Business Development
- 10.00 Transitory Records
City of Winnipeg Records Schedule “C” : Departmental Records Schedules
- 1-7: Assessment and Taxation Department
- 8: Audit Department
- 9-12: Office of the Chief Administrative Officer
- 13-18: City Clerk’s Department
- 19-28: Community Services Department
- 29-36: Corporate Finance Department
- 37-52: Corporate Support Services Department
- 53: Legal Services Department
- 54: Office of the Mayor
- 55-69: Planning, Property and Development Department
- 70-78: Public Works Department
- 79: Winnipeg Golf Services
- 80-81: Winnipeg Parking Authority
- 82-83: Animal Services Agency – Animal Care and Control
- 84: Materials and Supplies Management
- 85-87: Transit Department
- 88-95: Water and Waste Department
- 96-103: Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service
- 104-111: Winnipeg Police Service
The City Records Manager/Archivist chairs the City of Winnipeg Records Committee. The Records Committee operates under Section 110 (2) of the City of Winnipeg Charter to "make recommendations to council, and implement policies and procedures approved by council, for the management, retention, safekeeping, disposition and destruction of records."
- Records Committee 2019 Annual Report
- Records Committee 2018 Annual Report
- Records Committee 2017 Annual Report
- Records Committee 2016 Annual Report
- Records Committee 2015 Annual Report
- Records Committee 2014 Annual Report
- Records Committee 2013 Annual Report
- Records Committee 2012 Annual Report
- Records Committee 2011 Annual Report
- Records Committee 2010 Annual Report
- Records Committee 2009 Annual Report
- Records Committee 2008 Annual Report
- Records Committee 2007 Annual Report