2015 Consultation Results
From May 25-June 22, 2015, the Winnipeg Police Board hosted six community consultation meetings across Winnipeg. Each meeting was attended by the members of the Winnipeg Police Board and members of the Winnipeg Police Service.
The purpose of the Board’s community consultation meetings was to meet with citizens and get their feedback on the 2015-2019 Strategic Plan for the Winnipeg Police Service.The Board considered all of the input it received from the consultation process as it updated its strategic plan for the Winnipeg Police Service.
A total of 82 citizens attended the Board’s community consultation meetings in 2015. The Board received a total of 36 written submissions. The Board would like to thank everyone who took the time to attend one of this year’s community consultation meetings or make a written submission.
You can find below the summaries of citizens’ questions and comments from each of the community consultation meetings.
The Board had prepared a set of nine questions that it posed to meeting attendees after giving a presentation on the 2015-2019 Strategic Plan for the Winnipeg Police Service:
- Are there any parts of the strategic plan where you feel the Board and the Police Service are on the right track?
- Are there any parts of the strategic plan where you feel the Board and the Police Service are on the wrong track, or that they are falling short of your expectations?
- Do you support the vision of the strategic plan, Creating a culture of safety for all?
- Policing costs have increased across the country, including Winnipeg. What are your thoughts in regard to policing costs?
- One of the goals of the strategic plan is “engaged communities.” What would that look like to you?
- What should the Police Service do to earn greater trust and confidence?
- What are your ideas for making your community safer?
- What are the biggest safety challenges in your community?
- When we report back on our progress a year from now, what do you want to hear?
These questions also formed the basis of the Board’s comment forms and online survey for collecting written submissions.