Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux
Watch Live and Archived Council and Committee Meetings
Council Building
City Clerk's

Marriage Services

The Council Building at City Hall is closed to members of the public until further notice. City Hall wedding ceremonies are also suspended until further notice.

All individuals entering City Hall and any other City-operated facility, including the City Clerk’s Department, located on the main floor in the Susan A. Thompson Building at 510 Main St., are required to wear a face mask.

Only two customers are allowed at the Clerk’s Department front counter at one time. They are asked to respect social distancing guidelines and stay a minimum of six feet apart at all times.

Please review the COVID-19 safety measures before visiting.

L’immeuble du conseil de l’hôtel de ville est fermé au public jusqu’à nouvel ordre. Les cérémonies de mariage à l’hôtel de ville sont également suspendues jusqu’à nouvel ordre.

Toutes les personnes qui rentrent dans l’hôtel de ville ou dans toute autre installation exploitée par la Ville, y compris le Bureau du greffier, qui est situé au rez-de-chaussée de l’immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, au 510, rue Main, doivent porter un masque.

Le nombre de personnes pouvant se trouver à la réception du Bureau du greffier en même temps se limite à deux. La clientèle est priée de suivre les consignes d’éloignement physique et de se tenir à six pieds des autres en tout temps.

Veuillez lire les mesures de précaution liées à la COVID-19 avant votre venue.

The City of Winnipeg offers civil marriage ceremonies at City Hall, 510 Main Street.

Open allClose all

Getting Married in Manitoba

Marriage Licence

In order to be married in the Province of Manitoba, couples must first obtain a marriage licence at least 24 hours prior to the ceremony. Marriage licences may be purchased at the City Clerk's Department or at any other registered marriage licence issuer in the City and are only valid for three months.

For detailed information on the requirements for obtaining a marriage licence, getting married in Manitoba, or changing a surname after marriage, please visit the Vital Statistics Manitoba webpage.

The process for obtaining a marriage certificate after a ceremony can also be found on the Vital Statistics Manitoba webpage.

Identification Requirements

Both parties must be present to purchase a marriage licence and are required to provide valid identification (photocopies are not acceptable). Acceptable documents for identification can include:

  • Birth Certificate (please bring an additional piece of government issued photo ID)
  • Passport or US Passport Card
  • Citizenship Certificate (Canadian or United States)
  • Canada Immigration documents
  • Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card
  • Government of Canada Indian Status Card
  • Driver's Licence (photo ID) with one of the following
    • Manitoba Health Card
    • Senior Citizen Card/Old Age Security Card
    • Change of Name Certificate
    • Social Insurance Card


Divorced persons are required to show either a Divorce Certificate; or a Decree Absolute


Persons whose spouse is deceased must show one of the following:

  • Death Certificate
  • Funeral Home Statement of Death
  • Obituary clipping from the newspaper

*Please note that Death and Divorce Certificates cannot be obtained at City Hall.

Requirements for a City Hall Ceremony

Required Documentation

Each party getting married must bring photo identification to be reviewed by the marriage officiant prior to the start of the ceremony, along with a valid marriage licence.
(Marriage licences must be purchased at least 24 hours before the ceremony and are only valid for three months).


Couples must provide two witnesses (one for each partner) who must be present at the ceremony. The City of Winnipeg does not provide witnesses.

Marriage Ineligibility

City staff will not solemnize the marriage of any person who he or she knows or has reasonable grounds to believe lacks capacity to marry. Circumstances rendering a person ineligible for the civil marriage include:

  • One or both parties are under physical or mental duress
  • One or both parties fail to meet the age requirements
  • The parties are related as grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, brother or sister
  • One or both parties are currently married
  • One or both parties are mentally ill or under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs and incapable of understanding the nature of the marriage contract and the duties, obligations and responsibilities that result from marriage. If the person solemnizing a marriage has any doubts as to the mental capacity of the parties, or one of the parties, he/she may refuse to perform the ceremony.

An officiant will be provided for all marriage ceremonies at City Hall, as staff are trained and designated by the City Clerk to act as officiants to solemnize marriage ceremonies. Ceremonies are available in both French and English, are non-denominational in nature, and adhere to all legal requirements.

Ceremonies last approximately 5-10 minutes depending which of the three available scripts the couple selects. The booking includes use of the selected space for up to 1 hour (15 minutes prior to the ceremony time, and 45 minutes afterwards).

Applicants may choose to personalize certain parts of the script, including the vows. All customizations must be submitted in writing to the City Clerk’s Department. The couple may choose from one of the following three scripts available in either English or French:

Personalized music is permitted and may be played off of an iPod, iPhone, USB or laptop.

Small flower arrangements are permitted, but must be removed by the applicants at the conclusion of the ceremony.

As the ceremony is held in a public space, the following options are not permitted at the ceremony or on the grounds of the venue:
Candles, confetti, rice, incense, bubbles, or similar.

*Please note that receptions and post-ceremony festivities cannot be accommodated at City Hall.


The ceremony will be conducted in English or French. If you do not understand or read English or French, you must provide your own interpreter and he/she must provide identification. The interpreter may not be one of the witnesses.


Please note the availability of the below locations may change without notice.

The couple may select one of the following locations for a civil marriage ceremony at City Hall:

  • Mayor’s Foyer (2nd Floor, Council Building)
  • Council Chambers (temporarily unavailable)
  • West Committee Room (temporarily unavailable)
  • North Committee Room (temporarily unavailable)
  • City Clerk’s Board Room (temporarily unavailable)
  • Outside City Clerk’s Offices (Susan A. Thompson building)
  • Outside on City Hall Courtyard

Please note that not all locations may be available at the requested date and time.


The fee for a Civil Marriage Ceremony is $520.00 + GST, payable in cash (Canadian Funds only), debit or by credit card (Visa or Mastercard). The fee does not include the cost of a marriage licence ($100), which must be purchased separately at least 24 hours in advance of the ceremony, either in person at the City Clerk's Department, or at any one of the registered marriage licence issuers in Manitoba.

A $100 deposit is required to confirm the date and time of the ceremony. In the event of a cancellation, the deposit is fully non-refundable. The remaining balance must be paid in full ten days prior to your appointment. Remaining fees paid are refundable up to seven days prior to the scheduled ceremony, and non-refundable within seven days or less.

Change of Date

Any change of date made 7 days or more before the ceremony will be subject to a $50 + GST administration fee and is subject to availability. Changes of date made less than 7 days before the ceremony are treated as a cancellation.

Book an Appointment


Appointments are available on Fridays afternoons at 12:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. (excluding statutory holidays) and must be booked at least 14 days in advance. Timeslots are 1 hour in length (15 minutes prior to the ceremony time and 45 minutes after).

* Please note that we require all participants to be present at City Hall at least 10 minutes in advance of the scheduled start time.

Book an Appointment Online

Please note that your requested date is tentative until you are contacted by the City Clerk’s Department.

Want to know more?

For more information about marriage ceremonies, please contact the Office of the City Clerk by or call 311.

To find out how to register your marriage or obtain a marriage licence, visit the Province of Manitoba Vital Statistics Agency website or call 204-945-3701 or 1-866-949-9296.

Your personal information is being collected under the authority of s.36(1)(b) of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. This information will be used to administer the civil marriage ceremony program and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. If you have any questions about the collection of this information, contact the Corporate FIPPA Coordinator by mail to City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9, or by telephone at 311.

Last update: April 20, 2021

City Clerk Contact
Public Hearing Process Brochure

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.