COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux

Weddings at City Hall

The Council Building at City Hall is open to members of the public in a limited capacity.

Beginning Monday, November 15, everyone entering the Council Building at City Hall is required to provide proof of vaccination and corresponding photo ID.

All individuals entering City Hall and any other City-operated facility, including the City Clerk’s Department, located on the main floor in the Susan A. Thompson Building at 510 Main St., are required to wear a face mask.

Please review the COVID-19 safety measures before visiting.

L’immeuble du conseil de l’hôtel de ville est ouvert aux membres du public de façon limitée.

À partir du lundi 15 novembre, tout le monde devra fournir une preuve de vaccination et une carte-photo d’identité correspondante pour entrer dans l’immeuble du conseil de l’hôtel de ville.

Toutes les personnes qui entrent dans l’hôtel de ville ou dans toute autre installation exploitée par la Ville, y compris le Bureau du greffier, qui est situé au rez-de-chaussée de l’immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, au 510, rue Main, doivent porter un masque.

Veuillez lire les mesures de précaution liées à la COVID-19 avant votre venue.

The City of Winnipeg offers civil marriage ceremonies at City Hall, 510 Main St.


The fee for a Civil Marriage Ceremony is $520 + GST, payable in cash (Canadian funds only), debit or by credit card (Visa or Mastercard).

Within 48 hours of booking the ceremony, a $100 non-refundable deposit is required to confirm the date and time.

The remaining balance must be paid in full at least ten days prior to your ceremony appointment.


In the event of a cancellation, remaining fees paid are refundable up to seven days prior to the scheduled ceremony, and non-refundable within seven days or less.

Book a ceremony

Ceremony appointments are available on Friday afternoons between noon and 4 p.m., excluding holidays, and must be booked at least 14 days in advance. Timeslots are 1 hour in length.

Once a request is received, the ceremony timeslot is held for 48 hours. You will receive a confirmation email with a link to the online application and payment form, which must be completed within 48 hours.

If the application form and $100 deposit are not submitted within 48 hours, the timeslot will be released.

Purchase a marriage licence

In order to get married in Manitoba, couples must apply for a marriage licence at least 24 hours prior to the ceremony. The cost of a marriage licence is $100.

Marriage licences may be purchased in person at the City Clerk's Department and are valid for three months.

Identification requirements

Both parties must be present to purchase a marriage licence and are required to provide valid identification (photocopies are not acceptable). Acceptable documents for identification can include:

  • Birth Certificate (please bring an additional piece of government issued photo ID)
  • Passport or US Passport Card
  • Citizenship Certificate (Canadian or United States)
  • Canada Immigration documents
  • Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card
  • Government of Canada Indian Status Card
  • Driver's Licence (photo ID) with one of the following:
    • Manitoba Health Card
    • Senior Citizen Card/Old Age Security Card
    • Change of Name Certificate
    • Social Insurance Card


Divorced persons are required to show either a Divorce Certificate or a Decree Absolute.


Persons whose spouse is deceased must show one of the following:

  • Death Certificate
  • Funeral Home Statement of Death
  • Obituary clipping from the newspaper

Death and Divorce Certificates cannot be obtained at City Hall.

Ceremony details


An officiant will be provided for all marriage ceremonies at City Hall Ceremonies are available in both French and English, are non-denominational in nature, and adhere to all legal requirements.

Ceremonies last approximately 5-10 minutes depending which of the three available scripts the couple selects. The booking includes use of the selected space for up to 1 hour (15 minutes prior to the ceremony time, and 45 minutes afterwards).

Applicants may choose to personalize certain parts of the script, including the vows. All customizations must be submitted in writing to the City Clerk’s Department. The couple may choose from one of the following three scripts available in either English or French:

Personalized music is permitted and may be played off of an iPod, iPhone, USB or laptop.


The couple may select one of the following locations for a civil marriage ceremony at City Hall:

  • Foyer in the Susan A. Thompson building (Main floor)
  • Outside on City Hall Courtyard
  • Mayor’s Foyer (2nd Floor, Council Building) temporarily unavailable

Not all locations may be available at the requested date and time.

Receptions and post-ceremony festivities cannot be accommodated at City Hall.


Small flower arrangements are permitted, but must be removed by the couple at the conclusion of the ceremony.

As the ceremony is held in a public space, candles, confetti, rice, incense, bubbles, or similar are all prohibited.


If the couple does not understand English or French, they must arrange for their own interpreter. The interpreter may also act as one of the witnesses.

Day of the ceremony

All participants must arrive at City Hall at least 5 minutes in advance of the scheduled start time.


Both persons getting married must bring photo identification along with the valid marriage licence. These will be reviewed by the marriage officiant prior to the start of the ceremony.


Both persons must bring one witness who must be present at the ceremony. The City of Winnipeg does not provide witnesses.

Marriage ineligibility

City staff will not perform the marriage of any person they have reasonable grounds to believe lacks the capacity to marry. Circumstances rendering a person ineligible for the civil marriage include:

  • One or both parties are under physical or mental duress
  • One or both parties fail to meet the age requirements
  • The parties are related as grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, brother or sister
  • One or both parties are currently married
  • One or both parties are mentally ill or under the influence of intoxicating substances and incapable of understanding the nature of the marriage contract and the duties, obligations and responsibilities that result from marriage.

If the officiant has any doubts as to the mental capacity of one or both of the parties, they may refuse to perform the ceremony.

Additional questions?

For more information about marriage ceremonies, please contact the Office of the City Clerk by email or contact 311.

The Province of Manitoba’s Vital Statistics Agency is responsible for registering marriages and change of name. For further information on marriage licence requirements, getting married in Manitoba, changing a surname after marriage, and obtaining a marriage certificate after a ceremony, visit the Province of Manitoba Vital Statistics Agency website or call 204-945-3701 or 1-866-949-9296.

Privacy statement

Your personal information is being collected under the authority of s.36(1)(b) of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. This information will be used to administer the civil marriage ceremony program and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. If you have any questions about the collection of this information, contact the Corporate FIPPA Coordinator by mail to City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9, or by telephone at 311.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.