Candidates for School Trustee
The following is a summary of information and considerations that all potential candidates for School Trustee should be aware of before seeking election.
Persons eligible to be a candidate for School Trustee must meet all of the following criteria:
- a Canadian Citizen;
- 18 years old or older on Election Day, October 24, 2018;
- a resident in the School Division since April 24, 2018; and
- Not be disqualified by law.
Becoming a candidate for School Trustee involves only one process: the nomination process. (There is no registration process for candidates seeking election for School Trustee.)
Candidates must submit Nomination Papers which provide evidence of support from eligible voters.
Individuals seeking election may obtain Nomination Papers from the City Clerk’s Department, Main Floor, Susan. A. Thompson, 510 Main Street, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, or from their respective School Division office.
Nomination Papers for the Office of School Trustee must have a minimum of 25 signatures of voters whose names appear on the Voters List for the school division ward in which they are seeking election.
All Nomination Papers will be available for public inspection. A list of nominated candidates will be posted in the Council Building and available on this website.
- There is no legislatively defined campaign period for candidates seeking election for School Trustee.
- Campaign contributions and expenses for candidates seeking election for School Trustee are not legislatively regulated and candidates are not required to file an audited financial statement.
- The conduct of the campaign, including monies spent on campaigning, is at the discretion of the individual. Candidates are responsible for raising any funds required for the conduct of their campaign.
- Contributions made to a candidate are not tax-deductible for the contributor.
- Funds expended on the election of a candidate are not tax-deductible.
It is recommended that candidates read the following guides for detailed information: