Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
Election 2018

Voter Eligibility

Voter Eligibility is governed by the Municipal Councils and School Boards Election Act.

Voter Eligibility for Mayor / Councillor

To vote for Mayor / Councillor, you must be:

  • a Canadian Citizen; and
  • 18 years of age or older on Election Day (October 24,2018 ); and
  • an actual resident or property owner in the City of Winnipeg for a period of at least 6 months (since April 24, 2018 ).

Voter Eligibility for School Trustee

To vote for School Trustee, you must be:

  • a Canadian citizen; and
  • 18 years of age or older on Election Day (October 24, 2018); and
  • an actual resident of the School Division for a period of at least 6 months (since April 24, 2018 ) and
  • an actual resident in the School Division Ward on Election Day (October 24, 2018 )
  Non-residents do not have the right to vote for School Trustee.

Determining Residency of a Voter

The following determines the residency of a voter:

  • is a resident of the place where they intend to return to when away from it
  • may be a resident of only one place at a time
  • does not change residence until they have a new residence

A person who leaves a municipality for temporary reasons is still considered a resident voter. For example, a student attending university or college outside the municipality, but who intends to return home after the term ends, is considered a resident voter.

A voter may vote only once in the same election, regardless of whether he/she owns multiple properties.

  • A voter must be a resident in the School Division for six months prior to Election Day.
  • A registered owner of land who does not reside in the School Division does not have the right to vote for School Trustee.

For more detailed information regarding voting eligibility, please consult:

Last update: January 19, 2018

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.