Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux
Watch Live and Archived Council and Committee Meetings
Council Building
City Clerk's

Board of Adjustment

The Board of Adjustment is an impartial quasi-Judicial body, consisting of 5 citizen members appointed by Council, that is responsible for hearing applications and issuing Orders for conditional uses and variances as prescribed by the the Board of Adjustment By-law No. 5894/92.

Hearings consist of three member panels and are typically scheduled bi-weekly.  The meetings of the Board of Adjustment are regulated by the rules set-out in the Board of Adjustment By-law No. 5894/92, The Development Procedures By-law No. 160/2011 and The Procedure By-law No. 50/2007.

A secretary of the board is appointed by the City Clerk. The secretary of the board is a City of Winnipeg employee and not a member of the board. The secretary is responsible for all administrative functions of the board, including, but not limited to, maintaining the records of the board, processing hearings and decisions of the board, and preparing and issuing the orders setting out decisions of the board.

Prior to a hearing taking place, the city must give notice of a hearing by the board respecting an application for a variance or a conditional use to the applicant and by posting a notice on the property at least 14 days before the day when the hearing is to take place.

At the public hearing, the public is provided with an opportunity to convey their views on an application. All persons who would like to express their views on an application are asked to complete a short "Representation Form" at the hearing. There is no need to preregister. On that form, you are asked to indicate if you are registering in support of the application, in opposition to it, or for information only. By filling out this form you are also ensuring that you will receive notice of the hearing body's decision on the application, and information on how to appeal the decision.

Generally, and unless otherwise directed by the Board of Adjustment, the applicant (and/or designate) is heard first, followed by those in support of the application. Next, those registered in opposition are heard, followed by those registered for information. Finally, the applicant may return to speak, should they desire to speak in rebuttal to comments made. No new information may be brought forward during rebuttal.

Please note that when your name is called, this is your opportunity to speak; however, you are not obligated to do so. If you are unable to attend a Public Hearing, or if you wish to submit your comments in written form, you may do so by sending your submission to the City Clerk's Department as follows:

Mail/In Person: City Clerk's Department
Susan A. Thompson Building
510 Main Street
Winnipeg Manitoba R3B 1B9
Fax: 204-947-3452

Of further note, the Board of Adjustment may establish reasonable time limits for representations at a Public Hearing. The Board may also decline to hear presentations, questions or objections where the body is satisfied that the matter has been adequately addressed at the hearing.

All representations, verbal or written, made to the Board of Adjustment become part of the public record. If you do bring written materials to support your presentation, please provide a copy to the Clerk for the official record. Submissions to the Board of Adjustment must be received prior to, or during a hearing, and cannot be made following the conclusion of public representations.

After hearing representations, the Board of Adjustment may decide to either adjourn the matter or render its decision.

A Variance/Conditional Use application may be approved or approved subject to conditions provided that it meets the statutory criteria prescribed under section 247(3) of The City of Winnipeg Charterin that it:

(a) is consistent with Plan Winnipeg and any applicable secondary plan:
(b) does not create a substantial adverse effect on the amenities, use, safety and convenience of the adjoining property and adjacent area, including an area separated from the property by a street or waterway:
(c) is the minimum modification of a zoning by-law required to relieve the injurious effect of the zoning by-law on the applicant’s property:
(d) is compatible with the area in which the property to be affected is situated.

The decision of the Board of Adjustment may be appealed. When a decision is appealed, the City arranges for a new public hearing by the Appeal Committee, which has the option to confirm, vary or cancel the order of the Board of Adjustment.

In the event the Board of Adjustment adjourns the hearing, it generally will announce the time, date and place of the reconvened hearing at the time of adjournment. If not, the City will give notice of this information as though the reconvened hearing were a new hearing.

The board must provide written reasons for its decisions on an application.  In accordance with The City of Winnipeg Charter, notice of its decision and information on how to appeal the decision, must be given to the person in respect of whom the decision or order was made, and to those persons who made submissions at the hearing.

Last update: August 10, 2020
Board of Adjustment

View larger map
  • Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street
    Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 1B9

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.