Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux
Community Services

Animals and Insects

Property owners are expected to maintain their property or residence so that insects or rodents do not become a nuisance.

Frequently Asked Questions

Open all | Close all

Who is responsible for pest control for a property?
  • The property owner, landlord, property manager or occupant may be responsible depending on the circumstances.
  • If you want to register a complaint regarding an insect or pest problem, contact the City at 311.
I saw a rat or mouse coming out of the neighbour's yard, what can be done?
  • Contact the City at 311 to register a complaint.
My neighbour seems to be keeping pigeons.  Is that allowed?
  • Keeping Pigeons is allowed under the Neighbourhood Liveability By-law.
  • The By-law outlines specific requirements dealing with the keeping of pigeons that must be met in order to obtain the required health permit. As well, new construction of pigeon lofts or aviaries must first obtain zoning approval prior to construction.
  • Contact the City at 311 to register a complaint.
What can be done about the insect problem I have in my suite (cockroaches, bedbugs, wasps, flies)?
  • If you have problems related to your rental residence first contact your rental manager, owner, or caretaker to advise them of the problem. If the problem is not resolved you can register a complaint with the City of Winnipeg Community By-law Enforcement Services at 311.
Do I have to allow my landlord into my suite to exterminate bugs?
  • To effectively control insect problems in a building, the exterminator's recommendations should be followed to ensure proper treatment.
My child has lice, how do I treat it?
  • Contact the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority's Health Links at 204-788-8200 for treatment information.

Related Links

  • For further information about dogs and other animals, see Animal Services
  • For further information about insects, including mosquitoes, see Insect Control
Last update: February 1, 2019