Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
Community Services


For further information visit Public Works boulevard beautification.

The owner/occupant of property adjacent to a boulevard is responsible for maintaining that portion of the boulevard that is adjacent to the property.

Frequently Asked Questions

Open all | Close all

Is there a minimum level of boulevard maintenance that property owners are responsible for?
  • Yes, the property owner is responsible for the following boulevard maintenance:
    • ensuring grass is no more than 15 cm (6 inches) high
    • ensuring other vegetation, other than turf, is no more than 1.0 m (39 inches) high
    • controlling noxious weeds (weeding and mowing)
    • keeping the boulevard free of garbage
What boulevards are maintained by the City?
  • boulevards beside a regional street
  • boulevards flanking properties beside a regional street
  • ditches where grass has never been planted
  • boulevards at the rear of a property
  • extended boulevards – meaning a boulevard that is at least 20 feet wide as measured from the roadway to the sidewalk or property line
Can I beautify the boulevard?
  • The Neighbourhood Liveability By-law 1/2008 includes a section on boulevard maintenance (Part 8), which allows property owners to beautify the boulevards adjacent to their property without the need for a permit, so long as they meet the guidelines specified in the By-law.
What are the guidelines for beautifying the boulevard?
  • Your garden should not interfere with the movement of vehicular or pedestrian traffic
  • The plants you are growing should not interfere with the sightlines of pedestrians or drivers of vehicles
  • Shrubs, fruit and vegetables are not to be planted
  • Make sure there is access to:
    • fire hydrants
    • installations belonging to City of Winnipeg, Manitoba Hydro or Manitoba Telecom Service/Allstream
  • post office boxes located on the boulevard
  • The boulevard must be accessible for snow removal operations, including storage of snow removed from the roadway / sidewalk
  • Do not create or widen a private approach or walk, if you do you must apply for a permit under the Private Approach By-law.
  • Boulevard must be graded so that water flows from the edge of the right of way into the street and that vegetation or objects do not obstruct rainwater and snow melt from flowing from the edge of the right-of-way into the streets
  • In the absence of an agreement with the owner of neighbouring property, does not allow non-standard vegetation to spread beyond that portion of the boulevard that is adjacent to his or her property
  • Does not harm a tree planted in the boulevard
  • Only turf(grass) can be planted within 1.0 m from the curb
  • Only turf(grass) can be planted within 0.5 m from the public sidewalk
How do I report a boulevard maintenance concern?
Last update: February 26, 2020

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.