What are the regulations regarding open air fires?
The City of Winnipeg has established revised standards and requirements for all open air fires regulated under the Neighbourhood Liveability By-law
These standards include specific by-law requirements for residential open air fires in various permanently constructed or portable receptacles such as fire pits, fire bowls, chimineas and other outdoor receptacles.
Frequently asked questions
- No, only burn clean, dry, unpainted and untreated wood and no grass, leaves, brush or tree prunings.
- Afire pit must be at least 3 metres (10 feet) from any combustible buildings, structures, fences, trees, or overhead wires, etc.
- Fires must be attended to at all times and an adequate supply of water, sand or other extinguishing material must be on hand. For a complete list please refer to the Fire Pits, Fire Bowls, Chimineas and Other Outdoor Receptacles brochure.
Download the following brochures for more specific information:
- Fire Pits, Fire Bowls, Chimineas and Other Outdoor Receptacles
- Open-Air Fires
- Residential Barbeques and Propane Tanks