Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux

Animal Services
on Social Media

Animal Services Agency

Sick or Injured Animals

Sick Animals

If you have any concerns about the health of your pet, contact your veterinarian immediately.

The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law states that all cats and all dogs within the City of Winnipeg must be vaccinated for rabies. For more information on rabies, visit:

Stray Injured Animals


  • Call the Animal Services Agency at 311 if the injured dog is moving.
  • Call the Winnipeg Humane Society at 204-982-2025 if the injured dog is not moving.
  • If you are unable to contact the Winnipeg Humane Society, contact the Animal Services Agency at 311.


  • Contact the Winnipeg Humane Society at 204-982-2025


Exotic Animals

Dead Animals

  • If an animal is found dead on a roadway within the City of Winnipeg, call 311. Dead animals on private property are the responsibility of the property owner.
  • For dead animals found outside the City of Winnipeg, call 204-945-8955

Owned Animals

  • If you are aware of a sick or injured owned animal, and the owner is neglecting to provide veterinary care, contact the Provincial Animal Care Line.

Frequently Asked Questions

Open all | Close al

Can I bury a dead animal on my property?
  • Yes. You must insure the animal is buried at a sufficient depth to eliminate odour and discourage attracting other animals.
Can I put dead animals out for regular garbage collection?
My family pet died. Will the City come and pick it up?
  • No. The disposal of personally owned animals is the responsibility of the animal owner. Search "Pet Cemeteries, Crematories and Supplies" for further information.
I have found an injured bird and am concerned about West Nile Virus. What should I do with it?
  • Contact the Winnipeg Humane Society at 204-982-2025, Prairie Wildlife Rehabilitation Organization (PWRC) at 204-510-1855 or the Wildlife Haven Rehabilitation Centre at 204-878-3740.

    Visit Manitoba Health website for information on West Nile Bird Surveillance and disposing of dead birds and small animals.
Last update: February 1, 2019

Was this information helpful?

How can we make it better?

Any personal information included in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Quelles améliorations pourrions-nous faire?

Les renseignements personnels qui sont inclus dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer notre site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone (311) si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.