Responsible Pet Ownership By-law
The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law regulates the presence of wild and domesticated animals within the City of Winnipeg, their activities and the activities of their owners.
Dog and Cat Ownership Information
Visit these external agencies for helpful information on dog and cat ownership:
- The Winnipeg Humane Society – Resources
- The Winnipeg Humane Society – Yelp Line
- WebMD – Healthy Pets
- American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) – Pet Care
- Canadian Veterinary Medical Association – Animal Owners
- Keep cats safe and save bird lives
Spaying or neutering your pet:
- Helps control the pet overpopulation problem
- Provides health benefits
- Reduces roaming
- Provides a significant discount when licensing
To spay/neuter your pet simply contact a veterinarian!
Low income spay/neuter programming is available at the Winnipeg Humane Society and is partially funded by the City of Winnipeg.
Preventing Dog Bites
- Only approach a dog if you have permission from the owner
- If there is no owner there – stay away from the dog
- When you have permission to pet a dog, let the dog sniff the back of your fist and move slowly and quietly
- Always move slowly and quietly around dogs –DON’T run or make loud noises around strange dogs
- Don’t disturb a dog that is sleeping, eating or looking after puppies
- Don’t try to take any toys, food or any other object from a dog’s mouth
- If a strange dog is approaching you:
- Stand still and be quiet
- Don’t try to run away because this will make the dog chase you
- Don’t stare into the dog’s eyes
- If the dog tries to grab you:
- try to let him have your jacket or backpack, etc.
- put something between you and the dog
- If you fall or are knocked down:
- Curl up into a ball with your hands over your ears and stay still
- Try not to scream or roll around
- Wait for help to arrive before getting up
- Never cut through someone’s yard, even if you know the people. You could run into a dog that might bite you.
Keeping your Pet Safe
- Hot and Cold Weather Safety
- Emergency Preparedness
- Fireworks or scheduled fireworks? Keep your pets inside.
The Animal Services Agency provides an Education Program customized for your group or organization.
- Delivered at 1057 Logan Avenue or at your facility
- Available for all ages and any group
- About 1.5 hours long and includes topics such as:
- Responsible Pet Ownership,
- how to prevent dog bites
- Animal Services in the community.
- facts and responsibilities in being a pet owner
- what to do if approached by a stray dog and how to prevent dog bites
- pet overpopulation and the reasons why you should sterilize your pet
- Newcomer program – intro to dogs also available
To book your education program email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org