Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |

Animal Services
on Social Media

Animal Services Agency

Prohibited Animals

The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law identifies three types of prohibited animals:

Prohibited dog breeds

The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law states that 'no person may bring into the City of Winnipeg, or being its owner, allow in the City of Winnipeg, a dog which has the appearance and physical characteristics predominantly conforming to the standards of the Canadian Kennel Club or the United Kennel Club for any of the following breeds':

  1. American Pit Bull Terrier
  2. Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  3. American Staffordshire Terrier

Commercial Animals

The Responsible Pet Ownership By-law defines a commercial animal as any 'animal of a domesticated species used for agricultural purposes and includes horses, cattle, hogs, goats, sheep, poultry and bee colonies but does not include wildlife as defined in The Wildlife Act, even if used for agricultural purposes'.

Commercial animals cannot be kept on any property within the City of Winnipeg except on a property where this is permitted under the Downtown Winnipeg Zoning By-law or the Winnipeg Zoning By-law.

Poultry cannot be kept or raised within the City of Winnipeg except in districts zoned "agricultural" under the Winnipeg Zoning By-law.

All Other Prohibited Animals

Schedule A of the Responsible Pet Ownership By-law provides a listing of all other prohibited animal species. Hybrids of all listed animals are also prohibited.

If you wish to bring a prohibited animal into the City of Winnipeg on a temporary basis, you must apply for a Temporary Prohibited Animal Special Permit Application

Note: Special permits are typically issued for prohibited animals transiting the Winnipeg area.

Frequently Asked Questions

Open all | Close all

Can I travel through the City of Winnipeg with a prohibited animal?
Can I have a commercial animal within the City of Winnipeg if it is not used for agricultural purposes?
  • Commercial animals are prohibited within the City of Winnipeg, no matter what their use.
How much is the fine for having a prohibited animal?
What if my prohibited animal is impounded?
How do I report someone who has an illegal or prohibited animal?
Can pet stores in the City of Winnipeg sell prohibited animals?
  • Pet stores within the City of Winnipeg cannot sell any animal or species listed as prohibited in the Responsible Pet Ownership By-law. They must abide by this By-law.
Can a circus use elephants, tigers, and/or other exotic animals within the City of Winnipeg?
  • No.
My neighbours have chickens on their property. Are they allowed to have them?
Is it legal to operate a petting zoo within the City of Winnipeg?
  • According to the Responsible Pet Ownership By-law, a petting zoo means a 'collection of commercial animals which are made available to the public to touch, pet or feed, and which are of a size and temperament that are suitable for this purpose'. Petting zoos are allowed to operate in one location for a maximum period of one week.
What kinds of snakes can I have in the City of Winnipeg?
  • Schedule A of the Responsible Pet Ownership By-law states what species of snakes are prohibited/banned. If you have questions regarding the By-law, please call 311.
Can I keep a deer as a pet in the City of Winnipeg?
  • No.
Can I keep a potbellied pig as a pet in the City of Winnipeg?
  • No. Hogs are not allowed in the City of Winnipeg unless the property is zoned accordingly.
Can I visit the City of Winnipeg with my Pit Bull?
  • No – Pit Bulls may not be brought into the City of Winnipeg.
Last update: February 1, 2019

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.