- Schedule updates for swimming classes that were cancelled on October 11 or 12 due to the storm will be provided by instructors.
- Where possible, the 2019 fall session will be adjusted so that the last day for Friday and Saturday lessons will be December 13 or 14.
- The report cards for these classes will be handed out on the ninth class, to ensure customers are prepared for Mass Registration on December 10.
Swimming is a life skill. Have fun. Be fit. Be safe.
Swimming lessons have 3 categories: Learn to Swim, Lifesaving / Lifeguarding & Specialty programs
- Participants must be minimum age by the start date unless otherwise indicated
- Programs are offered at a variety of times throughout the year at our pools
- Programs are taught by trained and certified instructors
- Wondering how the levels fit together? View the swim program continuum in the Leisure Guide Swimming brochure
Learn to Swim Registration
Step 1: Select the Learn to Swim level that best fits the participant's needs
We offer Learn to Swim programs for all ages and skill levels.
If you are uncertain on which level to select, we recommend you use the following criteria to make that selection:
- Participant's Age - Learn to Swim programs are offered for Preschoolers (6 months - 5 years), Children (6 - 17 years), Teens (10 - 17 years) and Adults (18 years+).
- Participant's Current Swim Skills - detailed descriptions of prerequisites and skills taught in each level for each age group:
Take advantage of our free swim level assessment by visiting one of our indoor pools during public swim and our friendly staff will recommend which Learn to Swim level to register in. Please note that all public swim admission entry requirements apply.
Step 2: Search for and note the activity numbers for activities of interest
Once you have determined the level(s) you plan to register in, it is time to select the activity numbers for available programs at the pool(s) of your choice.
Check out the Leisure Guide Swimming brochure for a complete listing of all available programs at each pool.
Step 3: Using leisureonline to register
Visit winnipeg.ca/leisureonline and log in to your account. Once you have logged into your account, key your selected activity number into the search bar on the Home page.
Please note that the student to teacher ratio for Preschool levels is always very small and spaces fill quickly. Your best opportunity for a successful registration experience is to have activity numbers noted for second and third choices.
Additional programs offered:
- Premium classes — have fewer students and are priced accordingly. These courses are suited to people wanting smaller classes and lower student to teacher ratios.
- Red Cross Swim - People with disabilities classes are available for individuals with developmental, cognitive and/ or physical disabilities. These classes focus on developing sound water safety skills. They are designed to follow Red Cross Swim programs and provide an opportunity for supervised water activities.
- Red Cross Swim-Private — classes are for 1 student per instructor. Services will be customized to provide opportunities for candidates to participate in Red Cross programs or to improve specific stroke/skills.
- Red Cross Swim- Semi-private — classes are for 2 students of like age and ability per instructor. Class time will be customized to provide opportunities for candidates to participate in Red Cross swim programs or to improve specific strokes or skills. For safety reasons and to ensure these are successful classes they are designated by age: 6-12 years; 13-17 years; 18 years and older and by swimming ability: levels 1-3 are primarily in shallow water; levels 4-10 are primarily in deep water.
- Leadership Development courses offer training for personal first aid, and responding for emergency situations both in and out of the water; training to become a Water Safety Instructor and/or professional Lifeguard. The skills developed in these programs prepare individuals for future Leadership roles.
- First Aid & CPR courses prepare you to respond to emergencies! Many employers and volunteer opportunities require certification in first aid and CPR. We offer Red Cross First Aid and CPR courses.