- The Learn to Skate program offers 10 weeks of lessons with an emphasis on progressive skill development and fun.
- Trained instructors teach skating skills using a variety of activities and games in a non-competitive environment.
View skating lessons in the Winter 2019 Leisure Guide Skating brochure.
To participate in the Learn to Skate program, please note the following:
- Sharpen hockey or figure skates prior to the start of lessons.
- All children should wear mitts or gloves. Layers of warm clothing are recommended. Snow suits are appropriate for preschool-aged children.
- Skate bars are not permitted.
- A helmet is mandatory for all participants, including parents participating in Parent & Cub programs. A proper-fitting CSA approved helmet is recommended. Bicycle helmets are not permitted.
- Please note one parent is required for each child registered in Parent & Cub (1:1 ratio).
- We strongly recommend that helmets be equipped with a face mask.
- Classes run once per week for 30 minutes with the exception of Junior Power, Intermediate Power, Senior/Advanced Power, and Hockey Skills (45 minutes).
- Registration will not be permitted after the third class of each session.
- To ensure enrollment in the correct level, please refer to the flow chart in the Fall 2018 Leisure Guide Skating brochure.
- City of Winnipeg public skating is available at 13 arenas.
- Times and dates are subject to change without notice at all locations.
- We strongly recommend the use of a proper-fitting, CSA-approved hockey helmet with a face mask for all age groups.
- All public skating is provided free of charge.
- Only figure or hockey skates are permitted on the ice.
- Due to safety and liability concerns, we are unable to accommodate wheelchairs, strollers, sleds or toboggans on the ice during public skating.
- Hockey sticks and pucks are not allowed during public skating.
Schedule – Fall 2018 / Winter 2019
294 Bertrand St.
|Tuesdays||6:45–7:45 pm||Sept 25–Dec 18, Jan 8–Mar 5|
|Saturdays||2:00–3:00 pm||Sept 29–Dec 15, Jan 5–Mar 9|
709 Keewatin St.
|Sundays*||3:30–4:30 pm||Sept 16–Dec 16, Jan 6–Mar 10|
|Thursdays*||5:30–6:30 pm||Sept 20–Dec 20, Jan 3–Mar 7|
1377 Clarence Ave
|Mondays*||7:15–8:15 pm||Oct 15–Dec 17, Jan 6–Mar 17|
535 Oakdale Dr.
|Sundays*||2:15–3:15 pm||Sept 30–Dec 16, Jan 6–Mar 10|
|Wednesdays||6:45–7:45 pm||Oct 3–Dec 19, Jan 2–Mar 13|
910 Maginot St.
|Thursdays||6:30–7:30 pm||Sept 27–Dec 20, Jan 3–Mar 7|
799 Logan Ave.
|Saturdays||12:30–1:30 pm||Sept 29–Dec 15, Jan 5–Mar 16|
1410 Rothesay St.
|Fridays||5:45–6:45 pm||Sept 28–Dec 21, Jan 4–Mar 15|
625 Osborne St.
|Sundays*||3:00–4:00 pm||Sept 9–Dec 16, Jan 6–Mar 10|
1111 Wall St.
|Sundays*||12:00–1:00 pm||Sept 30–Dec 16, Jan 6–Mar 17|
St. James Civic Centre
2055 Ness Ave.
|Mondays*||11:00 am–12:00 pm||Sept 24–Dec 17, Jan 7–Mar 18|
|Saturdays*||2:15–3:15 pm||Sept 29–Dec 15, Jan 5–Mar 16|
St. Vital Centennial
580 St. Anne’s Rd.
|Sundays*||1:15–2:15 pm||Sept 30–Dec 16, Jan 6–Mar 10|
901 Kimberly St.
|Saturdays*||11:45 am–12:45 pm||Sept 29–Dec 15, Jan 5–Mar 9|
Transcona East End CC
517 Pandora Ave E
|Sundays*||1:30–2:30 pm||Sept 30–Dec 16, Jan 8–Mar 5|
|Saturdays*||6:30–7:30 pm||Sept 29–Dec 15, Jan 5–Mar 16|
|* Public skating cancelled: Sept 27 (Billy Mosienko only), Oct 8, Nov 11, Nov 12, Nov 24 (Terry Sawchuck only), Jan 19 & 20 (Transcona East End CC only), Feb 18|
Last update: December 5, 2018