Data Services manages shared data resources, such as the Spatial Data Infrastructure and the Open Data Portal, and supports tools to make the most of data, such as the GeoMedia suite of GIS software, the Winnipeg Map API, and Cognos analytics software.
Data Services is comprised of the following two teams.
Geographic Information System Solutions (GISS)
GIS at the City runs under a decentralized model with GIS Solutions fulfilling the enterprise role to help bring our valuable GIS assets together into one place to promote data sharing.
The GISS team supports the following:
- Intergraph GeoMedia, The City’s enterprise GIS software platform. GISS manages shared server components and site licensing, customization to the City’s shared spatial data, and consulting and training for all users.
- The Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI), the City’s shared data repository of data with spatial information.
- The Winnipeg Map API, a Google Maps-based viewer for spatial data, with special tools to facilitate the inclusion of shared spatial data. The Winnipeg Map API is specially made to be easily included in web pages and web applications.
- iView, a GeoMedia-based toolkit for creating web applications based on map viewers.
Information Solutions (IS)
The IS team supports the following:
- The City’s Open Data portal.
- IBM Cognos, the City’s shared Business Intelligence and Analytics platform.
- Extract, Transform & Load processes required to move data from one location to another and change formats as required.
- Database and query performance and tuning consulting services.
- Shared database administration.
- Master Data Management and shared master databases and data quality management tools.
For more information:
|Data & Application Services|