The 2022 municipal election is on October 26. Get the latest election information. Les élections municipales de 2022 ont lieu le 26 octobre. Obtenez des renseignements à jour sur les élections.

Hazardous materials

The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service responds to 50 calls for service related to Hazardous Materials each year. If you encounter a hazardous materials situation such as a gas leak or chemical spill, get to a safe place and call 911. Follow these precautions:

  • If you smell natural gas, leave the area immediately and call 911
  • Signs of a natural gas leak include rotten egg smell, bubbles in a ditch or waterway, dirt being blown into the air, distinct patches of dead or discoloured vegetation, or a loud hissing noise
  • If you suspect a natural gas leak, leave the area immediately and call 911, even if you think it's minor
  • Natural gas is flammable - do not smoke, light matches or lighters, operate electrical switches, appliances, phones, vehicles or create any other source of ignition or sparks anywhere near a gas leak
  • Ensure you have a home escape plan and that all members of your household are familiar with it
  • If the hazardous material is not flammable, move away from the danger area, avoid visible clouds, and shelter-in-place in a safe location until you receive instructions to leave - this is especially important if you are indoors and suspect the hazardous material is present in the evacuation route
  • If the hazardous material may be outside the building you are in, evacuation may not be the best option

If you encounter a hazardous materials incident while in your vehicle, take the following precautions:

  • Turn on your radio and follow all instructions from emergency services personnel - if the area is exposed to a flammable material, you will be required to shut off your vehicle and evacuate the area.
  • Close all windows and air vents, and shut off the heater or air conditioner so that it is not blowing air
  • In most cases you are safer to drive away from the area than to try and wait it out in a vehicle
  • If you cannot drive out of the area, shut off your vehicle and wait with the radio on; turn on your hazard lights and use your horn and headlights to attract attention - if you have to wait for an extended period, be mindful not to drain your vehicle's battery

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.