The 2022 municipal election is on October 26. Get the latest election information. Les élections municipales de 2022 ont lieu le 26 octobre. Obtenez des renseignements à jour sur les élections.

Utility failures

While all utility providers do their very best to maintain their services, from time to time there are events that interrupt that service.

Power outage

When you experience a power outage, consider the following:

  • Check with your neighbours to see if they have electricity
  • If you experience a neighbourhood power outage, unplug all appliances and computer equipment to avoid damage from a power surge when the power is restored, and shut off all lights except one to signal the return of power
  • If your service has been interrupted, contact Manitoba Hydro
  • Report downed power lines to Manitoba Hydro; stay away from all downed power lines as they may be live and can electrocute people or pets that come in contact with them - if a power line is touching water, sparking, or on fire, avoid the area and call 911
  • Turn on your battery-powered radio and tune it to a local radio station Keep your phone charged if possible and follow City of Winnipeg social media channels
  • If your home is the only one in the neighbourhood without power, the problem could be in your residence; know the location and type of service in your home (fuse box or circuit breaker panel) and know how it works - if you do not know how to change a fuse or re-set the breaker, contact Manitoba Hydro or a professional electrician
  • Most natural gas furnaces need power to operate, but do not have to be turned off, and will usually operate when power is restored, while most natural gas fireplace burners will operate without electricity - consult the manufacturer of your equipment for information about your furnace and fireplace
  • While most freezers can keep food cold for 12 to 24 hours without power, remember to keep the fridge and freezer doors shut as much as possible to preserve the cold temperatures.
  • Use emergency light sources from your 72-hour emergency kit, such as glow sticks and battery-powered flashlights
  • Never leave candles burning unattended or while you sleep; instead, use a car charger to keep your cell phone charged

When your power is restored

  • Wait a few minutes for the power to stabilize before plugging in appliances again and check your electrical appliances one-by-one
  • Turn on circuit breakers
  • Be sure the water heater is full of water before turning it on
  • Turn off portable heaters
  • Check your home for damage

Natural gas outage

The safety controls on natural gas equipment are designed to close and shut equipment off if gas flow is interrupted. For information on your equipment contact the manufacturer. If you smell natural gas (rotten egg odor), get out of the building immediately, stay out, and call 911.

  • Contact Manitoba Hydro
  • Turn the thermostat down so it is not calling for heat.
  • Have a carbon monoxide alarm with a battery backup on all levels of your home and test them regularly.

Stay warm in your home without power or gas

  • Keep windows and doors closed to conserve heat and wear warm clothing
  • Use an emergency heating source to warm one room before the building gets too cold; if the power is still on, use an electric heater to maintain heat - consult Manitoba Hydro for a list of safe emergency heat sources
  • If you choose to use a home generator for backup electricity, operate it safely and follow the manufacturer's instructions
    • Use your generator outdoors only, in well-ventilated conditions, away from doors, windows, and air intakes
    • Connect your lights and appliances directly to the generator and avoid the use of extension cords
    • Never use a fuel-powered generator indoors or in a garage or other confined outdoor space, as carbon monoxide can build up, which can cause serious injury or death
    • For more information, refer to Manitoba Hydro
  • Check water pipes to ensure they do not freeze

When natural gas is restored

  • You may have to re-light the pilot light(s). If you don't know how, contact Manitoba Hydro. Authorities may instruct you to wait for professional assistance.
  • Be sure your water heater is full of water before turning it on.
  • Turn up the furnace thermostat.
  • Turn off portable heaters.

If you suspect carbon monoxide is present in your home, get out, stay out and call 911.

If you must evacuate your home during a power or natural gas outage, ensure you take the appropriate precautions

  • Turn off your home's main electric switch.
  • Turn off your home's water heater switch.
  • If you have a hot water or steam boiler system, turn off the power and/or natural gas supply and drain the boiler and system according to the manufacturer's instructions. For specific information contact the manufacturer.

If you suspect your home will freeze up due to lack of power, take the following steps

  • Drain water pipes to prevent water in pipes from freezing and splitting the pipes:
    • Shut off the tap at water meter and then turn on your taps to get the water out of your pipes.
    • Turn on a tap in your basement, drain water into pails and save for use.
  • Drain your hot water tank and furnace humidifier.
  • Flush your toilet(s) to empty as much water as possible. Add recreation vehicle antifreeze to toilet tanks and bowls to reduce chance of freezing.
  • Drain water from washing machine and dishwasher.
  • Drain your hot tub.
  • Add recreation vehicle antifreeze to all sink, bathtub, shower and floor drains.
  • When notified, City works crews may shut off the water at the street and they may also require access to your house to drain the water meter.
  • Protect the valve, inlet pipe and water meter or pump with blankets or insulating material.
  • If you are able to keep the temperature above freezing in the area of the water meter or water tank there may be no need to drain this equipment; however, the City may have to shut the water off for other reasons.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.