City officials will make every effort to keep citizens located in at-risk areas informed. This may be done through local media, telephone alerts, pamphlets delivered door-to-door and emergency services personnel.
Preparing to evacuate
- Follow the instructions provided by local authorities.
- Tune in to local media outlets for the location of an evacuation reception centre.
- If you have been instructed to; and you are sure that you have time and know how to do it, shut off the water, gas and electricity.
- Attempt to make arrangements for pets. For emergency assistance with animal care, call the Animal Care Line at 204-945-8000.
Things to do when evacuating
- Vacate your home when advised - ignoring a warning may jeopardize your safety.
- Dress appropriately for the weather and wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Contact family members telling them when you departed and where you went.
- Take your Emergency Kit.
- Lock your house.
- Follow the routes specified by local authorities. Do not take shortcuts.
Last update: March 22, 2017