Economic Support Grant Program
In December 2020, the City of Winnipeg launched the Winnipeg COVID-19 Economic Support Grant Program to assist Winnipeg small businesses and not-for-profit organizations that were forced to prohibit access to their premises due to COVID-19 public health restrictions that went into effect on November 12, 2020. The City will be distributing a total of $3 million to eligible local businesses and organizations with funding provided by the federal Safe Restart Agreement.
Small businesses and not-for-profit organizations could apply online for a non-repayable grant of $1,500 which could be used for rent, utilities, wages, personal protective equipment (PPE), sanitizing equipment, or other business expenses incurred.
- The application intake is now closed.
Applicants are subject to the following eligibility requirements:
- Eligible organizations Include Winnipeg small businesses and not-for-profits that were forced to prohibit access to their premises as a result of the public health orders effective November 12, 2020 or thereafter.
- Applicants must have fewer than 100 employees.
- Organizations must have been engaged in business and its physical premises open for public access immediately prior to the implementation of public health orders on November 12, 2020.
- Organizations must consent to having their organization disclosed in a public report as a grant recipient and the specific business expenses covered by the funding.
- In accordance with the City of Winnipeg Charter Act, if the applicant currently has outstanding business taxes owing to the City, any approved grant will first be applied to the outstanding tax balance.
- Determination of who is eligible for a grant is at the discretion of the City of Winnipeg, based on a determination of the organization satisfying the program parameters and providing sufficient evidence for the City to verify. If sufficient evidence is not provided a grant will not be issued.
- If sufficient evidence has not been provided in the initial application, applicants will be contacted at the email address included in the application form. 10 calendar days will be allowed for the applicant to provide information requested. If no response has been received within the 10 calendar days, the application will be determined ineligible for a grant under this program.
When will I be notified if I am receiving the grant?
All applicants have been notified that their application has been received. Applications are being assessed in the order received. Applicants may be contacted to obtain additional information regarding grant eligibility.
Business tax roll number and Federal Business Number
All applications will be assessed to determine eligibility for the grant. The City will use multiple sources to determine whether the business is eligible, including the business tax roll number and Federal Business Number.
The application allowed you to indicate if you do not have a business tax roll number or a Federal Business Number. In this case, the City will be in contact with you to request additional documentation which may include a copy of the organization’s Notice of Assessment.