A Message from our Maintenance Coordinator
2019 Mid-Season Update
As we approach the end of July we hope everyone is taking advantage of this favorable weather and spending some quality outdoor time on our municipal golf courses. We are amidst the mid-season push in golf course maintenance and strive on a daily basis to provide the best possible playing conditions for all of our patrons. I am very pleased with the results to this point.
We have seen very little rain thus far in 2019 in fact the period of January to June was one of the driest on record. The lack of rain has not stopped our maintenance crews as they have worked extensively with our irrigation systems to provide high quality turf conditions and ensure our courses receive all the water they require.
We have realized a significant upgrade in the quality of our greens. Daily rolling and weekly top dressing at both Kildonan Park and Windsor Park has produced greens that roll smooth and true and has allowed us to reach speeds surpassing 10 on the stimp meter.
Aside from the daily cutting schedule, crews have completed and will be completing a number of side projects this season. Notable highlights from both on and off the golf course include the following:
- Opening our freshly seeded and graded hill on 17. This project has been a success as we are observing established grass that is ready for play. This enables us to expand the fairway creating a more generous landing area on a demanding tee shot.
- Electric cart additions to our fleet. In an effort to become more eco-friendly and improve the golf experience we now offer electric carts at Kildonan Park Golf Course.
- Clubhouse makeover on the Main street side. We are giving the west side a much needed makeover by adding landscaping to match our patio on the east side.
- Select greens are being expanded and restored back to original design.
- Men’s and Women’s Washrooms renovation to begin this fall. Both washrooms will be upgraded to meet accessibility standards and present a more current modern feel.
- Parking lot lines have been painted to create a more organized parking structure.
- First green restoration: A long overdue restoration of our first green is currently in process. We have sodded, seeded and pruned the back portion creating a larger putting surface with new views of the Seine River. We look forward to opening it up for play soon.
- Outdoor seating area makeover. We look forward this fall to opening a new landscaped seating area for our golfers to enjoy after their round.
- The replacement of all clubhouse windows this fall.
As you can see below our maintenance team has done an incredible job restoring the vandalism we received on the 1st green last fall. Kudos to the team, as now the 1st green looks as good as the rest of the golf course.
- New landscaped seating area at our front entrance.
- Continued tree pruning.
- Select greens have been expanded back to original size and design.
The City of Winnipeg Municipal Championships and Grand Final Tournaments are just around the corner and we anticipate another great turnout and look forward to crowning our 2019 champions. Our maintenance crews will be working tirelessly to get our courses ready and we hope to see you there. Enjoy the rest of the golf season!
City of Winnipeg