Legal Services provides a full range of legal services to the entire organization, including:
- acting as general counsel to the organization;
- providing legal advice and support in areas such as conducting real estate, corporate/commercial transactions and related negotiations;
- providing legal counsel acting on the City's behalf in litigation, by-law prosecutions and administrative law matters;
- drafting by-laws, contracts and agreements;
- and providing training for staff.
The Legal Services Department is headed by the Director of Legal Services/City Solicitor who reports to the Chief Administrative Officer.