Plant the prairies in your backyard
Living Prairie Museum offering planting workshops, plant sales
April 5, 2019
If you are a gardener, there are plenty of options when it comes to deciding what to plant. The Living Prairie Museum is hoping you’ll consider including some prairie species in your landscaping.
To make that a little easier, the museum is offering four prairie planting workshops through April with prairie ecologist and restoration expert John Morgan.
The three hour sessions will guide people through site preparation, seed germination, and planting for flower beds or larger prairie restorations.
The Living Prairie Museum will be holding several workshops about planting prairie flowers.
If you are interested, the workshop is $35 plus GST and you will need to register in advance by calling the museum at 204-832-0167. Friends of the Living Prairie Museum receive a $10 discount.
- Monday, April 8 - 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday, April 13 - 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Thursday, April 25 - 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 30 - 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
If you can’t make it to the workshop but want to plant prairie species, consider stopping in for one of the plant sales hosted at the Living Prairie Museum. A variety of native wildflowers and grasses will be for sale.
- Friday, May 17th - 3:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, May 18th - 10:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- Sunday, May 19th - 10:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- Sunday, May 26th - 10:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- Sunday, June 23rd - 10:00 to 4:00 p.m.
It is free to visit the museum, located at 2795 Ness Ave. It features more than 160 species of prairie plants in a 12 hectare preserve.
The Interpretive Centre is open Sundays in May and June, and is open daily in July and August. Hours of operation are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and the trails are open from dawn until dusk.