Victim services volunteer

Victim Service Volunteers work closely with one another and with assigned Police Officers in assisting victims of crime. This is achieved primarily by telephone contact with victims offering them support and resource information on social and judicial material.

The duties of a Victim services volunteer include:

  • Answering telephones and providing short-term emotional support to victims of crime and tragedy.
  • Provide referrals to appropriate community resources.
  • Provide crime prevention information.
  • Provide information to victims regarding their occurrences by accessing police data base.
  • Obtain and provide court information to victims of crime.
  • Provide Criminal Justice information regarding Victim Bill of Rights, Victim Impact Statements and Compensation for Victims of Crime.
  • Conduct personal home visits when required.
  • Volunteer at various Police related events.

Become a Victim Services volunteer

 Are you interested in joining our Victim Services volunteer team? 

Are you someone who is respectful, non-judgmental and inclusive in your actions and thinking? 

We’d love to hear from you. Applications forms with a current resume are currently being accepted.

To be eligible, you must:

  • be at 18 years of age or older;
  • be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident; and
  • pass an enhanced security clearance after the screening interview. 

Here’s what we are looking for: 

  • The ability to commit four hours once per week for at least one year.
  • Excellent interpersonal & communication skills – over the phone and in person.
  • A commitment to teamwork in an open-concept office setting.
  • Experience in handling crises or a background in counselling, social work or the criminal justice system.
  • Knowledge of (or the ability to learn about) various local support agencies. 
  • Proficiency in computers and the ability to learn new computer programs.
  • A genuine willingness to learn and be a positive voice on behalf of the WPS. 

Spaces are limited, but we keep applications on file for up to one year. There is a lengthy application process, therefore, if you surpass a year, please re-apply.

For further information interested individuals can contact the Victim Services Volunteer Coordinator at 204-986-3977.

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.