March 22, 2021 Media Release
On March 20, 2021, at 11:25 a.m., Central District General Patrol officers conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle travelling in the 400 block of Kennedy Street. As a passenger exited the vehicle, a canister of bear spray was observed. The passenger was also found to be wearing body armour. A subsequent search of the vehicle located a sawed-off rifle, $3,200 in methamphetamine, small quantities of other illegal drugs, and $1,645 in cash.
The five adult occupants of the vehicle were arrested and face charges related to:
- Firearms and ammunition possession
- Possessing Property obtained by Crime
- Possession of Scheduled Drugs for the Purpose of Trafficking
- Breach of Court Orders
- Possession of Body Armour without Authorization
In March of 2021, the Winnipeg Police Service Guns and Gangs Unit received information that a male was actively trafficking illegal drugs from his personal vehicle in the Garden City neighbourhood.
On March 13, the male was located exiting his car in the 500 block of Leila Avenue and was placed under arrest. Investigators located $4,000 in cash, $350 in cocaine, and $450 in fentanyl. A search warrant was obtained for his residence, also located on Leila Avenue, where an additional $18,600 in illegal drugs was located.
Michael CAMMARATA, 38, of Winnipeg, has been charged with:
- Possess of Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Methamphetamine
- Possess of Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Cocaine
- Possess of Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5,000
- Drive Suspended
He was detained in custody.
Constable Jay Murray, Public Information Officer
Constable Dani McKinnon, Public Information Officer
Constable Claude Chancy, Public Information Officer
Kelly Dehn, Manager of Public Affairs