September 27, 2021 Media Release
On September 24, 2021, at approximately 10:30 p.m., the Winnipeg Police Service responded to the area of Ellice Avenue and Young Street for the report of a male who had been stabbed.
AIR1 was first in the area and held the scene from above, waiting for ground units to arrive. Upon arrival, officers located an adult male who had been stabbed and bystanders were administering first-aid. Officers resumed first-aid to the victim in his thirties who was transported unstable to hospital, and later upgraded to stable condition.
The Major Crimes Unit took over the investigation. It is believed that the victim who was walking in the area was physically assaulted and robbed of his possessions by a group of individuals. He escaped, and eventually collapsed at Ellice/Young, while the suspects fled.
No arrests have been made.
The Major Crimes Unit is continuing this investigation. Anyone with information or video surveillance to assist investigators, please call 204-986-6219 or Crime Stoppers 204-786-TIPS (8477).
On September 25 2021, at approximately 2:00 a.m., the Winnipeg Police Service responded to the report of a large fight outside an establishment in the 200 block of Osborne Street.
Upon arrival the crowd had dispersed and police located an adult male in his twenties who had been assaulted. He was transported to hospital in critical condition and later upgraded to stable. Witnesses pointed out a suspect who was taken into custody.
Investigators believe the accused and suspect were previously known to each other and became involved in a physical fight upon exiting the bar.
A 20-year-old male of Winnipeg was charged with Aggravated Assault and released on an Undertaking (as mandated by the Criminal Code).
As previously released:
On September 5, 2021, at approximately 1:30 a.m., the Winnipeg Police Service responded to the report of an assault in the area of Spence Street and Cumberland Avenue.
Officers located an adult male who had a serious injury later determined to be a gunshot wound. The victim was transported to hospital in stable condition however he has life-altering injuries as a result of being shot.
No suspects have yet been arrested. The Major Crimes Unit is continuing with the investigation.
Members of the Major Crimes Unit continued with the investigation and identified a suspect.
On September 24, 2021, at approximately 3:00 p.m., members of the Central District Community Support Unit observed the suspect in the 400 block of Kennedy Street, at which time he fled on a bicycle.
Officers gave chase and arrested the male in the 500 block of Langside Street, where he was found to be in possession of approximately 21 grams of methamphetamine, $260 in Canadian currency and a mobile phone.
Shelton Edwin Fontaine, a 29-year-old male of Winnipeg, has been charged with:
- Discharge a Restricted Firearm or a Prohibited Firearm with Intent
- Aggravated Assault
- Pointing a Firearm
- Possession of a Weapon
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
- Possession of Firearm, Restricted/Prohibited Weapon or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order (x2)
- Possession of a Scheduled Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Methamphetamine
- Possession of Proceeds of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5000
- Fail to Comply with Condition of Undertaking (x4)
He has been detained in custody.
On September 26, 2021, at 9:58 p.m., members of the Winnipeg Police Service responded to the 400 block of Sherbrook Street for a report of a disturbance. A group was being aggressive with a person outside of a residence.
Upon arrival, Central District General Patrol officers located a male attempting to conceal a firearm – with the stock protruding from his waistband. The male attempted to flee but was immediately taken into custody.
The firearm was determined to be a loaded 12-gauge shotgun.
A search of a backpack the male had been carrying resulted in the seizure of additional items, including the following:
- A loaded sawed-off break-action .22 calibre rifle
- .4 grams of a substance believed to be methamphetamine
- .2 grams of a substance believed to be fentanyl
A 36-year-old male of Winnipeg remains in custody at this time and is facing charges of:
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized (x2)
- Possession of a Loaded Prohibited or Restricted Firearm (x2)
- Possession Carrying Concealed Weapon Prohibited Device or Ammunition (x2)
- Possession of Scheduled Substance – Methamphetamine
- Possession of Scheduled Substance – Fentanyl
- Possession of Firearm, Restricted/Prohibited Weapon or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order (x4)
He is expected to be detained.
Constable Jay Murray, Public Information Officer
Constable Dani McKinnon, Public Information Officer
Constable Claude Chancy, Public Information Officer
Kelly Dehn, Manager of Public Affairs