December 9, 2021 Media Release
The Festive Season Checkstop program is again on the road for 2021. Motorists can expect to see our officers conducting checkstops throughout the holiday season enforcing Impaired Driving legislation.
Impaired driving continues to be one of the leading causes of death in Canada, yet it is 100% preventable. It's important to remember that driving while impaired by alcohol, cannabis or any other drug, is a crime.
If you're under the influence of alcohol or drugs, DON’T DRIVE.
Week 1 results:
- 758 cars stopped
- 99 roadside breath tests were conducted which resulted in 4 WARNS and 9 FAILS
- All 9 FAILS were processed by way of Immediate Roadside Prohibitions
- 9 impaired driving criminal charges, including 4 refusals
- 5 of the impaired driving incidents involved a suspected drug impaired driver
- 65 traffic tickets issued
The Winnipeg Police Service would like everyone to have a safe and enjoyable festive season.
The 2021 Festive Checkstop program is made possible through our supporting partner, Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries.
Constable Jay Murray, Public Information Officer
Constable Dani McKinnon, Public Information Officer
Constable Claude Chancy, Public Information Officer
Kelly Dehn, Manager of Public Affairs