Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
Until Election Day
on October 24

Winnipeg Police Service


About the Service > Central Traffic Unit

Central Traffic Unit Home | Motorcycle Unit | Vehicle Inspection Unit | Special Events Traffic Information & Permits | Impaired Driving |
Photo Enforcement Program | Frequently Asked Questions
Parking Enforcement | Reporting A Motor Vehicle Collision

Special Events Traffic Information & Permits


Parade Permits

A Parade Permit must be obtained from the Winnipeg Police Service for any parade on a roadway where participants wish to be exempt from Highway Traffic Act compliance.

The parade permit application must be accompanied by a valid General Liability Insurance Certificate and must be submitted a minimum of two weeks prior to the event date, but preferably as early after January 1st of each year as possible to have the best opportunity of booking the required Police escort for the desired parade date.

The Parade Permit Application and Application Guide may be downloaded here.

The application must be completed in full and along with a certificate of insurance may be submitted via email (preferable) to the address listed on the application, or send by mail to:

Winnipeg Police Service
Chief of Police,
P.O. Box 1680,
Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3C 2Z7

All permitted parades require a Police escort.

Due to the potential for severe traffic disruptions, parade permits will not be issued for any event occurring during either of the rush-hour periods (07:00-09:00 hours, or 15:30-17:30 hours, Monday-Friday).

There is currently no cost for the issuing of a parade permit, however submission of a valid General Liability Insurance Certificate is required and some applicants may incur a cost obtaining this insurance.

Questions may be directed by email  to WPS Special Eventsor by phone to 204-986-5403.

Back to Top

Noise Policy And Noise Permit

The City of Winnipeg Noise Control By-law prohibits and regulates noises that may be deemed a nuisance to the public.  Should you wish to provide music or live entertainment at your event a noise permit from the Chief of Police is required.   Generally, noise permits will only be issued for events in commercial districts held between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to midnight Friday and Saturday.  The permit holder must remain on site at all times and abstain from the consumption of intoxicants.


Noise Control

Residential Districts

In residential districts, the production of a noise nuisance by devices, including radios, televisions, phonographs, drums, musical instruments, loud speakers, public address systems and sound amplifiers, is prohibited at all times.

Commercial Districts

In commercial districts, the production of a noise nuisance by devices, including radios, televisions, phonographs, drums, musical instruments, loud speakers, public address systems and sound amplifiers, is prohibited. The only exceptions would be for advertising some patriotic or other public object and when the Chief of Police has issued a permit. Exemptions include any military or other band or parade, concert, circus or fair operating under the written permission of the Chief of Police, and the using of sound devices during December to render Christmas carols.


Noise Permit

Noise permits must be applied for in writing, preferably on organization letterhead.  The letter requesting a noise permit must contain the following:

  • Name of the Organization
  • Contact person (permit holder) and phone number
  • Location of event
  • Date of Event
  • Start and end time of the event
  • Approximate number of people expected to attend the event
  • A copy of the “Agreement to Use Facility” if the event is held in a City park.

There is no cost for the issuing of a noise permit.   The letter of request should be submitted a minimum of four weeks prior to the event, if possible, to:

The Chief of Police
245 Smith Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3C 2Z7
Fax:  204-986-6077

For more information, contact the Winnipeg Police Service at 204-986-5999

View Noise Permit Application

Back to Top

Horse Use In The City Of Winnipeg

Selected Acts and Bylaws Governing the Use of Horses and Horse-drawn Carts
(Updated 2008-07-02) 


4.01. No person shall lead, drive, ride or back a horse or vehicle on, across, or along a sidewalk, boulevard or curb at any place other than an authorized crossing unless permission to do so has been obtained from the Director through a use of street or street cut permit.



49. No person under the age of 16 years shall ride a horse or drive a horse drawn vehicle upon any street or portion of street.

50. Between the hours 7:00 - 9:00 a.m. and 15:30 - 17:30 p.m. on any day excepting
Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays, the riding of horses and the driving of horse drawn vehicles is prohibited on Regional Streets.
Amended 5214/89

51. The riding of horses on streets during the hours of darkness is prohibited except on streets lit by street lights.


NO. 5895/92

15. No person shall ride a horse on, across or along any boulevard.


NO. 3219/82

15. No person shall operate a vehicle or take a horse or other animal used or capable of being
employed to transport persons directly or by drawing a conveyance other than on a highway in a
public park except:
(a) as required or authorized by by-law or permitted under this or any By-law of
The City of Winnipeg; or
(b) in areas designated for the use or presence of a particular animal or vehicle.


Lighting equipment of vehicles

35(1)       Except as otherwise provided in this Act, every vehicle shall, at all times while it is upon a highway, be equipped with lamps and other equipment in good working order as in this section provided, namely:

(i) Every vehicle in respect of which no other provision is made in this subsection shall carry at the back thereof, or at the back of any other vehicle that may be attached thereto,

(i) a reflector which shall be so placed as to be illuminated by the lights of any vehicle approaching from the rear and shall cast a red reflection, or

(ii) a lamp casting a red light.

(j) Where a vehicle is being towed on a highway at a time when, under subsection (11), lamps on vehicles are required to be lighted,

(i) if it is being towed by an animal and has a width, inclusive of the load thereon, in excess of 2.05 metres at any part thereof, or

(ii) if it is being towed by another vehicle and has a width equal to or greater than the vehicle towing it,
it shall carry at least four clearance lamps or reflectors in a conspicuous position,

(iii) one of which shall be placed at each side of the front of the vehicle and shall cast or reflect only a green or amber light forward,

(iv) one of which shall be placed on each side of the back of the vehicle and shall cast or reflect only a red light rearwards,

(v) at least one of which shall be placed on that part of the vehicle that projects farthest to the right thereof, and at least one of which on that part of the vehicle that projects farthest to the left thereof, and

(vi) of which the lamps or reflectors to which sub-clause (v) applies shall cast or reflect only a green or amber light forward and only a red light rearward.

Lamps and reflectors on other vehicles

35(8)       The lamp or reflector required, under clause (1)(i) or (j), to be carried by certain vehicles shall be of such a kind and so constructed that, under normal atmospheric conditions, the lamp when lighted, or the reflector, casts or reflects, as the case may be, a light visible from a distance of 150 metres in the rear of the vehicle.

Size of reflectors

35(9)       The reflectors required under clauses (1)(i) and (j), and under clause 149(1)(b), shall be of a type approved by the traffic board and

(a) those required under clauses (1)(i) and (j) shall be not less than 75 millimetres in diameter; and

(b) that required under clause 149(1)(b) shall be not less than 35 millimetres in diameter.

Riding improperly on vehicles

146(1)      No person while riding on a vehicle on a highway shall ride upon any portion thereof not designed or intended for the use of passengers.

Where subsec. (1) not applicable
146(2)      Subsection (1) does not apply to a person necessarily engaged in the discharge of a duty or to a person lawfully riding

(a) on a truck; or

(b) on a horse-drawn vehicle, in a space intended for the carriage of goods.

Drunken driving of vehicles other than motor vehicles
227(1)      No person

(a) who is in charge of a vehicle other than a motor vehicle or bicycle, or of a horse or other animal, used as a means of conveyance; and

(b) who is, through drunkenness, unable to drive or ride it with safety to other persons who are on a highway or bicycle facility;
shall drive or ride the vehicle, bicycle or animal on a highway or bicycle facility.

Back to Top

Links To Some Of Winnipeg’s Annual Special Events

Back to Top




CALEA Logo Click to visit the CALEA website.
"An Internationally Accredited Law Enforcement Agency"
Last update: June 22, 2016

 * Top of Page