Effective Monday, October 19, 2020 all in-home inspection appointments will be conducted virtually until further notice. Inspections of unoccupied homes will continue, as will on-site inspections for urgent situations.
Commercial inspections of unoccupied dwellings, new construction, and alterations in existing buildings, are subject to COVID-19 pre-screening at time of inspection requests and at time of inspection.
The Zoning & Permits Branch, located at 31-30 Fort Street, is not accepting walk-in customers. Permit applications are being processed; however, applications must be submitted digitally.
The Housing Inspections Branch conducts audit inspections associated with permits issued in the following areas of housing construction: new building construction, additions, renovations/alterations, accessory structures, and changes of use:
- Building - from the foundation, structural framework, and interior finishing of housing structures, up to and including the roof
- Plumbing - from three feet outside the building (basement) foundation wall, all drainage waste/venting and potable water pipes
- Mechanical - indoor mechanical systems installed in the residence including heating, ventilation and sump systems
- Electrical - interior and exterior wiring and lighting of a residence
Note: Housing Inspections does not inspect propane and/or natural gas equipment, piping or installations.
Types of construction requiring permits and inspections:
- New construction of single, duplex, triplex and multi-family row housing
- Renovations to existing single, duplex, triplex and multi-family row housing
- Additions/alterations (interior and exterior) to single, duplex, triplex and multi-family row housing
- Plumbing and electrical for basement development
- New, additions, alterations to all plumbing drainage, venting and water pipe systems and the associated fixtures
- New, additions, alterations to all electrical wiring and equipment installations.
- New, additions, alterations to the mechanical piping and equipment installations for forced air, electrical and hot water
- Demolition of any structure larger than 10 m2 (108 square feet)
- Garages, gazebos, sheds and other accessory structures larger than 10 m2 (108 square feet)
- Attached and detached decks over 60 cm (24”) above grade
- Attached and detached sunrooms, covered decks, pools, spas, hot tubs and saunas
- Installation of solid fuel burning appliances
Note: The above list is not all inclusive, nor is it intended to exclude any other type of construction and/or installation of equipment.
Other inspection services provided by this Branch include investigation of structurally unsound and unsafe conditions in new and existing buildings and the inspection of residential care facilities in existing Part 9 residential properties.
Request for Inspection
Housing inspections can be booked by completing the Housing Inspection Request Form (preferred method) or by calling the Housing Inspections office at 204-986-5300 between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday to Friday. Please be aware that wait times vary for phone-in requests.
Housing Inspectors and Districts Map
A map detailing the commercial building inspector's names, districts, and phone numbers.
Electrical Information Centre
Provides electrical information in brochures, by-laws, and forms.
Mechanical and Plumbing Info Centre
Provides mechanical and plumbing information in brochures, by-laws, and forms.