Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
Planning, Property & Development

Request for Inspection:
Housing inspections can be booked by completing the Housing Inspection Request Form (preferred method) or by calling the Housing Inspections office at 204-986-5300 between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday to Friday. Please be aware that wait times vary for phone-in requests.

Housing Inspections

The Housing Inspections Branch conducts audit inspections associated with permits issued in the following areas of housing construction: new building construction, additions, renovations/alterations, accessory structures, and changes of use:

  • Building - from the foundation, structural framework, and interior finishing of housing structures, up to and including the roof
  • Plumbing - from three feet outside the building (basement) foundation wall, all drainage waste/venting and potable water pipes
  • Mechanical - indoor mechanical systems installed in the residence including heating, ventilation and sump systems
  • Electrical - interior and exterior wiring and lighting of a residence

Note: Housing Inspections does not inspect propane and/or natural gas equipment, piping or installations.

Types of construction requiring permits and inspections:

  • New construction of single, duplex, triplex and multi-family row housing
  • Renovations to existing single, duplex, triplex and multi-family row housing
  • Additions/alterations (interior and exterior) to single, duplex, triplex and multi-family row housing
  • Plumbing and electrical for basement development
  • New, additions, alterations to all plumbing drainage, venting and water pipe systems and the associated fixtures
  • New, additions, alterations to all electrical wiring and equipment installations.
  • New, additions, alterations to the mechanical piping and equipment installations for forced air, electrical and hot water
  • Demolition of any structure larger than 10 m2 (108 square feet)
  • Garages, gazebos, sheds and other accessory structures larger than 10 m2 (108 square feet)
  • Attached and detached decks over 60 cm (24”) above grade
  • Attached and detached sunrooms, covered decks, pools, spas, hot tubs and saunas
  • Installation of solid fuel burning appliances

Note: The above list is not all inclusive, nor is it intended to exclude any other type of construction and/or installation of equipment.

Other inspection services provided by this Branch include investigation of structurally unsound and unsafe conditions in new and existing buildings and the inspection of residential care facilities in existing Part 9 residential properties.

Housing Inspectors and Districts Map
A map detailing the commercial building inspector's names, districts, and phone numbers.

Electrical Information Centre
Provides electrical information in brochures, by-laws, and forms.

Mechanical and Plumbing Info Centre
Provides mechanical and plumbing information in brochures, by-laws, and forms.

Last update: November 1, 2019