Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux
Planning, Property & Development

Residential Upgrading Program

Existing Buildings Inspectors regulate and inspect existing multi-residential buildings such as tri-plexes, four-plexes, apartments, condominiums, convents, dormitories, hotels, motels, hostels, and monasteries, to establish minimum life safety requirements, in accordance with the Residential Building Fire Safety Bylaw No. 4304/86

For those buildings subject to the by-law, this may require installation and upgrading of the following building components and systems:

  • fire alarms,
  • fire exits and fire escapes,
  • emergency lighting,
  • exit signage,
  • fire doors and hardware,
  • sprinkler systems,
  • fire separations,
  • fire fighter elevators, and
  • standpipe systems

Note: The above list is not all inclusive nor intended to exclude any other type of construction and/or installation of equipment.

If you have questions related to a matter or situation with an existing building you can contact 204-986-5300, Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.

Complaints about the conditions of existing structures should be directed to 311 to ensure the matter is submitted to the appropriate city department.

Last update: September 19, 2019

Was this information helpful?

How can we make it better?

Any personal information included in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Quelles améliorations pourrions-nous faire?

Les renseignements personnels qui sont inclus dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer notre site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone (311) si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.