Notice to permit applicants - The Zoning & Permits Branch is not accepting walk-in customers and permit applications must be submitted digitally. If you have any questions, call Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140.
Avis aux demandeurs de permis – La Direction du zonage et des permis ne prend pas les clients sans rendez-vous, et les demandes de permis doivent être soumises en format numérique. Pour toute question, appelez la ligne directe des permis au 204-986-5140.
Advice and permit information for the development of basements and other interior renovations
To apply for your permit please visit the Zoning and Permits Office at Unit 31 – 30 Fort Street.
The following brochures will help you plan your renovation project:
Basement Development - Lower Level Development
Construction requirements for the development of basements in residential buildings, including building code, plumbing, and electrical permit information, as well as the inspection process
Electrical installation requirements for single-family dwellings, detached garages and sheds
Plumbing requirements for single-family dwellings
Sump Pits & Pumps
As per Section 23 of the Winnipeg Building By-law 4555/87, sump pits and pumps are required in all new buildings that have a subsurface drainage system, also known as weeping tile.
Sump Pit Installation Guide
Guidelines and illustrations for the installation of a sump pump and pit for an existing single-family home
- Floor plan layout indicating use of rooms, or:
- Basement/Lower Level Developments (may include structural alterations) – completed Basement/Lower Level Development Application Form and Checklist
- Any other structural alterations - completed Alterations - Single/Two Family Dwelling Application Form
- If major structural alterations are involved, such as the altering or moving of beams or teleposts, these plans must be prepared or reviewed by a Professional Engineer (registered in the Province of Manitoba). A report and a signed and sealed Professional Designer's Certificate for Housing must be submitted at the time of permit application.
- Completed Owner Statement
Separate permits are required for electrical and plumbing:
Each permit application requires all of the information shown on the application form and the application must be submitted to the Zoning and Permits office. Your application visit will take less time if you complete the application form in advance.