The Zoning & Permits Branch is not accepting walk-in customers and permit applications must be submitted digitally. If you have any questions, call Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140.
La Direction du zonage et des permis ne prend pas les clients sans rendez-vous, et les demandes de permis doivent être soumises en format numérique. Pour toute question, appelez la ligne directe des permis au 204-986-5140.
When is a Deck Permit Required?
A deck is a structure with a total area of more than 3.4 m2 (36 sq. ft.).
A deck requires a Building Permit if any of the following conditions apply:
- It is located in the back or side yard and is more than 600 mm (2'-0") above ground level.
- It will eventually support a structure with a roof, such as a sunroom, family room, etc.
Note: For a proposed deck in a front yard, contact Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140 and speak to a Zoning Development Officer.
A landing is a platform up to 3.4 m2 (36 sq. ft.) located in front of an exterior door at the top of a flight of exterior stairs.
All landings require a Development Permit to ensure compliance with zoning by-laws, regardless of size.
The following applies to decks Building Permit applications.
Zoning and Construction Requirements
- Refer to the Decks brochure to learn more about zoning and construction requirements for open, non-sheltered decks for residential dwellings.
- one copy of a detailed site plan showing all property dimensions, location of all buildings, and the location and size of the proposed structure.
Note: The City has the authority to request a current Building Location Certificate (BLC) sealed by a registered land surveyor.
- one copy of a construction plan and elevation drawings as outlined in the Decks brochure.
- one completed Decks Permit Application Form and Checklist
- one completed Owner Statement (not required if owner is the applicant)
- one completed Professional Designer's Certificate for Housing if plans are sealed by an Architect or Engineer.
How to apply
Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying. Development Permit applications must be submitted in-person.
If you have any questions, please contact us.
Click before you dig
If your foundation is going to require digging below grade, visit clickbeforeyoudigmb.com or call 1‑800‑940‑3447.